Power BI Report Builder Introduction

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Power BI Report Builder Introduction

• What are the use cases for this product vs the regular SSRS reporting product?

• kaj wrote:

What are the use cases for this product vs the regular SSRS reporting product?

It is the same as the Report Builder. SSRS is a Server Service. The Power BI Report Builder is for printing and exporting purposes mainly.

• Daniel Calbimonte wrote:

kaj wrote:

What are the use cases for this product vs the regular SSRS reporting product?

It is the same as the Report Builder. SSRS is a Server Service. The Power BI Report Builder is for printing and exporting purposes mainly.

Okay, maybe I didn't ask the right question.

I have read this article about Power BI Report Server (which I assume is a prerequisite for using Power BI Report Builder)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-vs-SQL-Server-Reporting-Services-SSRS/m-p/255386

It says for example this:

Power BI Reports

The advantage of being able to use Power BI reports is that you can create interactive reports. If you are familiar with Power BI, you will know that as a developer you can create datasets and allow your business users to create their own reports to change the visualizations and layouts to suit them without having to request that from development, saving everyone a ton of time.

Authoring Reports

Creating Power BI reports is where the catch comes in. Even if you are running everything on-premise and you are not using any Power BI in the cloud. You will still require a Power BI Pro license for each person who wants to author and publish reports.

To be able to publish reports to Report Server you need a special version of Power BI Desktop, currently known as Power BI Desktop (Report Server) which comes as part of the Power BI Report Server download, the version of which needs to be kept in sync with the version on Power BI Report server. As explained in the section up upgrades later on.

Mobility

Power BI Report Server will allow you to view your SQL Server Reporting Services Reports as well as your Power BI reports through the Power BI app on any device, through the Power BI Report Server Web Portal.

I guess I'm just confused, but that most likely is on me and has nothing to do with your article, which seems solid. I just lack some background knowledge, and will have to read up on the whole batch of Power BI platform products. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  kaj.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply