Potential presentation idea: Networking -- an interactive how-to

• I have yet another presentation idea.  What do you folks think of this?

My working title is "Networking: it isn't just for breakfast anymore" (I took the title from my blog article with the same name).  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this, but here's what I've worked out for an abstract (what I've written so far should give you an idea of where I want to take this):

Networking. You keep hearing that word throughout your career development, but you don't know much about it, much less, how to do it. This session, which will be highly interactive, will get you interacting with other people in the audience. We will also discuss where and how to network.

YOU will be asked to contribute to this session! Be prepared to speak and to interact with other people in the room. If you are introverted, be prepared to step out of your comfort zone!

What do you think?  Any feedback you might have about my idea would be welcome.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Good point, any relationship is part of your network and can be useful. If you're trying to reach those introverts though, might not want to put the scare tactics in the extract?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Ray K - Monday, April 23, 2018 9:24 AM

I have yet another presentation idea.  What do you folks think of this?

My working title is "Networking: it isn't just for breakfast anymore" (I took the title from my blog article with the same name).  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this, but here's what I've worked out for an abstract (what I've written so far should give you an idea of where I want to take this):

Networking. You keep hearing that word throughout your career development, but you don't know much about it, much less, how to do it. This session, which will be highly interactive, will get you interacting with other people in the audience. We will also discuss where and how to network.

YOU will be asked to contribute to this session! Be prepared to speak and to interact with other people in the room. If you are introverted, be prepared to step out of your comfort zone!

What do you think?  Any feedback you might have about my idea would be welcome.

I think that the last paragraph of your abstract will be frightening to the very people that you're trying to reach.  In fact, the last paragraph needs to read exactly the opposite if you want to reach introverts as does the intended lesson plan.  People need to feel safe before they'll attend such a thing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Point taken, guys.  Thanks for the feedback.  Let me tinker with it a bit.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Okay, updated abstract -- how does this sound?

Networking. You keep hearing that word throughout your career development, but you don't know much about it, much less, how to do it. You want to network with technical and data professionals, so you attend events such as SQL Saturday and your local user group. But what about your book club, your gym, your church group, or your kid's soccer game? Those are prime -- and overlooked -- opportunities to network!

In this interactive session, we will discuss networking and where opportunities exist. We will also give you an opportunity to practice networking skills within the confines of our room!

• I'm happy to say that my brand-new networking presentation has been accepted by my hometown SQL Saturday (#741, Albany, NY, July 28)!

Come on out and check it out!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply