Post submittal checkbox defaults are backwards.

• During original and followup posts, the checkbox for "Notify me of follow-up replies via email" should default to being checked.  Most people (especially newbie original posters) want to be notified of replies to posts/threads they've made.

Also, when editing a post, the "Keep a log of this edit:" defaults to being checked.  The log history that shows up on edited posts, at best, is a distraction and should probably default to not being checked.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

During original and followup posts, the checkbox for “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” should default to being checked. Most people (especially newbie original posters) want to be notified of replies to posts/threads they’ve made. Also, when editing a post, the “Keep a log of this edit:” defaults to being checked. The log history that shows up on edited posts, at best, is a distraction and should probably default to not being checked.

I may be in the minority, but I don't use email to interact with this site, so I never want to receive notifications of follow-up replies.  I like the fact that it's not checked.  I think there should be a way to individually set the default value for that checkbox.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Agreed.  Being able to set such things as personal preferences would be outstanding.  I still think the defaults should be as I say for those folks that are new to the site, though.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• We can look at setting it as a preference, but we were asked not to have it on by default.

• I was happy to see that I don't need to turn that off every time I post.

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• Dave Convery wrote:

We can look at setting it as a preference, but we were asked not to have it on by default.

Guess I should have asked to have it on before. 😀  In that same vein, having the edit tracking turned off would also be great.

A preference setting for both would be awesome.  Thanks for having a look.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Jeff Moden.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply