Positive or Negative

• I'm not sure I'm consistent. For items that are look ups of one kind or another (that would be considered dimensions in an OLAP environment), I use an Active flag with a default of 1 (Yes). But for main items that would be akin to fact tables in an OLAP environment, I use Deleted with a default of 0. But somehow using Inactive and NotDeleted doesn't seem to work.

• The convention for the group I came into when learning SQL Server is *_is_active_indicator which makes for some very long names for some very short columns

• I would tend to use Enabled or Deleted in most cases, probably mostly on the flag exceptions basis as described so far. I don't mind having a default of 1 for such things when it seems to make sense though.

Maybe Active would work for something like a list of servers that could be active or decommissioned. Inactive would strike me as trickier to mentally parse in queries, maybe that's just me.

• There is some study that I read once that indicated that as English speaking humans, we think more in the positive sense, So I always try to use Positive terms for everything.

I do think it makes complex logic much easier to read and understand having had to decode both in my career..

This is more important in languages like c# where you have true Boolean logic but ultimately our databases are used by these guys.. so make their lives simple

if (active && !deleted)

{ //do something

}

more natural to read and understand as English speaking humans than:

if (!inactive && !deleted)

{// do something

}

• As a C# developer I believe it's better to show the intent of the code or schema with a positive naming convention. Therefore I'd definitely favour the "IsActive" style. I think this leads to clearer logic when faced with the double negative implied by "NOT InActive". Here are some examples from our code: "IsOn", "IsComplete", "IsCurrent", "IsAvailable", "IsDeleted".

• I go first with the way the business model works and run.

If a ties occurs, I go with the most easiest way the developer will uses it.

If a ties still occurs, I use the positive form to avoid double negative way, choosing simplicity.

This summarize

• I understood that the question was about philosophy of using positive or negative for the attribute names

This naming convention if should it be X, IsX, DoILikeX or X_Flag or whatever is a totally independent matter (in my view).

• I'm for the inactive. I would also have a column for the date and time it became inactive.

• david.dilworth (10/23/2015)

As a C# developer I believe it's better to show the intent of the code or schema with a positive naming convention. Therefore I'd definitely favour the "IsActive" style. I think this leads to clearer logic when faced with the double negative implied by "NOT InActive". Here are some examples from our code: "IsOn", "IsComplete", "IsCurrent", "IsAvailable", "IsDeleted".

+1

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I use the positive (which is problematic because a previous developer used the negative).

I prefer 'Enabled' to 'Active', but since 'Enabled' is a keyword and I consider using keywords as column names a sin, I go with 'Active'.

I am also not a fan of 'IsActive', because I find the 'is' part redundant, and because it is too easy on a cursory glance to read it as 'InActive'.

• U.S.A.F. Instructors pounded it into my head many years ago to never use "negative logic". To this day I find it offensive when having to deal with a language or app that sees "-1" as "True".

Positive please...

• We use negatives, IsInactive and it does make it harder to explain to folks but unfortunately you do get used to it.

• Some developers ain't never did nuthin' with nots and ain't not never gonna will.

My complaint is using the math terms of positive and negative when we are talking about a state being asserted or negated.

And secondly I would warn about the complexity of using several columns to define a state of a row.

• I'd go with the positive approach: Enabled, Active, Deleted etc.

Much easier to understand

• angel-626714 (10/23/2015)

I would also have a column for the date and time it became inactive.

Denormalisation alert 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply