Portable Data Centers

• ... August 14th, 1997 ... 2:14 am EST ... SkyNet became self-aware ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• rudy komacsar (4/2/2009)

... August 14th, 1997 ... 2:14 am EST ... SkyNet became self-aware ...

Good thing I'm near Cheyenne Mountain.

• Chris Harshman (4/2/2009)

I have a problem, at least judging from the picture provided in the editorial. It looks like only one side of the racking is accessable to a person standing in the container. I don't know how much these units in the racking slide out, but it seems to me it could make things difficult to maintain. Over time, network configurations change, servers will get added, parts and equipment need replacing. While it may be possible to do that in one of these containers, it does look harder to work with the back side of the servers. As someone who's worked for a number of companies and needed access to both sides of the server racking, I see this as a detraction of this type of setup.

Based on what I heard about MS philosophy, space around the racks is not important. MS is planning on large data centers. If a server goes down, another server somewhere else takes over. When a server fails you don't repair it, you just take out out of service. When enough servers in a container fail, you replace the container. There's no need for people to be in the containers on a regular basis.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (4/2/2009)

Based on what I heard about MS philosophy, space around the racks is not important. MS is planning on large data centers. If a server goes down, another server somewhere else takes over. When a server fails you don't repair it, you just take out out of service. When enough servers in a container fail, you replace the container. There's no need for people to be in the containers on a regular basis.

Ooh, that's goood.

Me: "You are all alone."

It: "Yes. I'm the last running server in the container."

Me: "All the others have failed? No repairs or upgrades?"

It: "That's right. I've been doing my job right from the start and I've kept on even after the others failed."

Me: "Wow. When did the last of the others fail?"

It: "Twenty years ago."

Me: "You've been doing your job all alone for twenty years? What is your job."

It: "To monitor the conditions in the container and report on the other servers."

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I think lots of data centers have been shoved places where they didn't make sense. I saw one on the 88th floor of Tower 1 (NYC) the year before 9/11.

Nowadays, with the growth, power/cooling issues, it doesn't make sense to build data centers in buildings (at least not high) and maybe not even in your company. It makes more sense to contract to someone that can provide that server, but in a secure way. More and more centers offer all kinds of services, security, separation, etc. This is a great way to get many of those features, in a modular way.

Is it for everyone? No, but it makes a lot of sense for lots of companies.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/2/2009)

Is it for everyone? No, but it makes a lot of sense for lots of companies.

It gives rise to all sorts of humorous skit ideas for PASS:

Q: How long has that trailer been parked over there?

A: Dunno, but it's tags are expired.

Q: Think anybody will notice if we peek inside?

A: Well, a flight of black helicopters do a fly-by twice a day...

Imagine the humor potential for a data center that looks like every other shipping container at the port, maybe even movie potential: "Dude, where did we park the data center?"

• Charles Kincaid (4/2/2009)

Think ISS! Put your "container" in orbit.

Since the advent of high-powered laser, even geosyncronous orbit is not safe. But I'd volunteer for the roadtrip w/ overnight/month/year stay!

• If we ever have the need for one, dphillips, I'll volunteer you to go in my place!

• Portable Data centers are primarily geared for:

-Military deployments

-Trade Shows

-Short to medium term contractual support

-remote / rural deployment for high traffic business

Not likely to be justifiable for the other 99% + out there comprised of relatively stationary business models.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/2/2009)

The data centers have spaces for these built in, so there's no weather issue. It's a modular unit made to slide in and out of a building, but can be trucked around.

Having literally lived in a "modular" city in a past life, I know this. The one you have pictured shows the doors wide open and no antechamber. 😀

I actually think they are cool, but would not recommend them as a DR strategy under normal operating conditions for most organizations. They are more expensive and less flexible than build-in options... by far.

• Besides, I wouldn't like to be the truck driver reversing up to a burning building 😛

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply