Port settings after failover/back

• I am running an HP based SQL2000 Cluster that uses Aliases(virtual names). When one box fails over to the other (for any reason) and then a fail-back is forced, the port setting dynamically re-assigns. This presents to many business problems to list!! My question....any ideas how I can fail-back to the same port it was on before it failed (I am dealing with the failover causes separately)???

Any guidance you have is appreciated.

Scott Willette

• if you use the client tool you can hard set the port. I assume you are talking about port 1433?

Wes

• That's part of my question I guess...I can hard code the port on the client side, but what is happening is that everytime a failover occurs, the port changes and I have to "re-hard code" every client port setting.

• I fyou go into the client network utility there is a place to remove all other protocols besides TCP/IP and then set that to 1433. As far as the cluster failover goes it should dissconnect all the clients then the client is responsible for the reconnect. They should all be pointing to the SQL Alias and it should have an IP seprate from the cluster IP. You can then set the SQL ip and all disk and other services to roll with it from node to node. Can you post a sample of the "re-hard code" code up? That may help me gain a clearer picture of what you are talking about.

Wes

• I am touching any configurations programmatically, but rather exclusively through the UIs.

• and this ask for a port like 1433? or is it a RPC port?

Wes

• Have you gone into the Server Network Utility on the boxes and set the default ports for the instance(s) involved?

K. Brian Kelley

bk@warpdrivedesign.org

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply