Port 1433 and 1434 Blocked

• My ISP Broadband provider has blocked Ports 1433 and 1434 amongst others. Since they have done this I cannot access  the MS SQL DB which is hosted by Fasthosts, both here in UK. I am aware that this is the problem and also that neither is going to change their settings.

I am far from expert in these matters. Someone suggested a GUI solution. What advice would you give someone who is new to this and need to upload tables quickly?

• If neither is going to change their settings, then you're pretty much stuck to a web gui solution. Unless Fasthosts allows some sort of secure tunnel in via VPN or something (which could potentially encapsulate the traffic) or Fasthosts is willing to set up the SQL Server to listen on a different port, you've not got another good option. I know there are some open source projects out there trying to build a web GUI similar to Enterprise Manager. However, their names escape me. I know a few folks on ere know what they are.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks Brian. I downloaded Microsoft's .NET based SQL Web Data Administration Tool. It allowed me to see the databases but gives me a server.timeout when I try to view the contents (tables). Doesn't life just make you wanna cry sometimes?

• If you're getting a script timeout error, you can set that value within the ASP.NET code.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I'll try that...thanks for your patience... I am a newcomer to SQL...actually on second thoughts...the huge delay is due to some fault surely and increasing the timeout will only mask the problem. I must investigate further.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply