Poking the Bear

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Poking the Bear

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I value you as both a long-distance friend and a mentor so I'm not going to passive-aggressively insult you or gas-light you like you just have many of us. 😉

And you don't remember which awesome tool used to show up when you pressed the {f4} key in Query Analyzer.  Press {f4} in SSMS and see what you get.  I also never had Query Analyzer fail but have had SSMS tell me many a time that something went wrong and it had to reload.  It won't even reliably copy custom colors for presentations any more.  It USED to work but hasn't since the Rev 17 "improvement". 😀

"Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Heh.. and, stop pokin' us bears... we're trying to get some sleep after fixing OPS. 😀

p.s.  You missed a prime opportunity here to post some awesome links to the awesome power and awesome ease of use for Extended Events.  And, no, there's not a lick of irony or sarcasm intended in me saying that.  You missed a great opportunity to teach.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I feel that extended events have proved their worth.

I have seen a lot of tech come and go throughout my career.  As a data person my 1st professional responsibility is to the organisation and its data.  This means I like to have a good understanding of any tech that has a bearing on that data.

Someone has to go first with new tech but bear in mind what  Fred P Brooks said.

There is no single development, in either technology or management technique, which by itself promises even one order-of-magnitude improvement within a decade in productivity, in reliability, in simplicity.

I think that teaching people the fundamentals is more important than teaching a particular tool.  If you teach the tool then you teach someone how to use the tool.  If you teach the fundamentals then you've given a jump start on a whole range of tools.

• Don't hate on a trace.

It can still be useful, for example if you are trying to figure out what gets called in the DB when using the app. Especially if you don't have access to the app source code.

Its saved me in the past and is easier than waiting weeks to get feedback from the app developers

• Thanks for the feedback all. No, no hate on Trace. I was dead serious in what I said about never questioning anyone using it ever again. Also, equally serious about the apology.

HOWEVER

I still stand by what I said. If you're teaching that old tech to the new people, you're doing it wrong.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thanks for the feedback all. No, no hate on Trace. I was dead serious in what I said about never questioning anyone using it ever again. Also, equally serious about the apology.

HOWEVER

I still stand by what I said. If you're teaching that old tech to the new people, you're doing it wrong.

No Sir.  Not true.  There are advantages that the old tech has that the new tech does not.  Both have advantages over the other.  And the new tech, as we have seen, doesn't prevent someone from setting up something stupid and dragging the server to its knees.

The key is, teach both and be sure to teach the advantages and disadvantages of both and the extreme danger of using either.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Does Red Gate SQL Monitor use Profiler traces or Extended Event traces?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Does Red Gate SQL Monitor use Profiler traces or Extended Event traces?

By default, neither. It supports both. Extended Events is first though. We have several metrics that are taking advantage of system_health. You can also enable Extended Events for more detailed information in standard metrics (deadlocks is one example). But trace is there.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply