Please revert to old site or prevent new content until data loss issues resolved

• I know this sounds harsh, and I don't want to be harsh, but there are 3 major data loss, two of which are non-recoverable:

1. MAJOR ISSUE TO FIX ASAP: data loss for characters not included in code page 1252
    2. MAJOR DATA LOSS ISSUE TO FIX ASAP: code in code block treated as standard HTML
    3. New blog import process mangles blog content

I have now spent easily 6 - 8 hours over the past 3.5 days doing volunteer QA work on this site: testing / researching / documenting / losing a post when attempting to edit it / resubmitting lost posts / editing replies attempting to figure out how to post non-simple code / tracking down data loss issues to save you time and hopefully get them fixed faster / and so on. So please don't take this as being negative or attacking or insulting or whatever (given how easily written communication can come off much more negative than intended). If I was anything but cooperative, positive, pro-Red Gate / SSC.com, I would have spent those 6 - 8 hours doing something billable. But, I can't be the only person experiencing this stuff, although I might be the only one (at the moment) who has noticed the data loss. This is serious because once the non-Code Page 1252 characters are converted into "?", or HTML / BBCode is translated, it is gone forever and needs to be re-done. This happens silently who knows if some of the translations will ever been caught by the person who entered the affected text in the first place. At least the blogs can be set to empty string in the DB and re-imported once that process is fixed.

Take care, Solomon..

SQL#https://SQLsharp.com/ ( SQLCLR library ofover 340 Functions and Procedures)
    Sql Quantum Lifthttps://SqlQuantumLift.com/ ( company )
    Sql Quantum Leaphttps://SqlQuantumLeap.com/ ( blog )
    Info sitesCollations     •     Module Signing     •     SQLCLR

• That and many internal, Google, and hardcoded blog links throughout the world are now broken.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Not overly happy with the new site.  Even looks like some of the forum posted entered recently have gone missing.

• We appreciate your time spent posting items. However, we are not rolling anything back. Period.

Links are broken, but we are working to fix them. There are more complex redirection rules needed, and things are getting fixed. If you think anything is lost, please report it with specifics, but just noting things seem to be lost is very unhelpful. That is the type of post most of you would not appreciate from anyone else asking for T-SQL help.

As far as data loss, Solomon, you are one of the very few that enters things like this. This isn't major data loss, though I do understand it feels that way to you. I appreciate your attention to detail, but quite a few of the complex data migration issues we experienced were specific to your posts. Keep in mind that most people don't need to enter these items, and there are limitations in the current system for entering things like HTML or conflicts with BBcode.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply