Please don’t Tweet this, but…

• Good point:cool:

• It's really just the old game with somewhat different stakes.

You don't say publicly or to unknown individuals, any thing you wish to remain quiet. Politicians for years have used 'off the record' to reporters, sometimes this was respected, sometimes not. It's a matter of thinking before you speak.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Same rule of thumb applies but the stakes are much higher. Be careful who you are speaking to; the tools for spreading gossip can be much more devestating these days.

• WayneS (9/6/2010)

That's not why I don't get on those sites. I'm one of those folks that are absolutely paranoid about protecting my personal identity... and all of those social networking sites are not exactly on the up-and-up in protecting my identity, so I don't go to them.

The sites themselves aren't the problem, it's how much the user decides to put out there for consumption. It's not hard to put in dummy data for profile and still make sure of the site/app.

=============================================================
    /* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
    Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
    My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
    My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management

• I have two daughters in their 20s and my neighbor has two kids in their late teens. The issue is that today's youth don't fully understand privacy. With all of the social media out there and smart phones putting contacts at their 'fingertips', they are sharing everything immediately and all the time. Just look at Facebook - you can see people posting what they are doing from the moment they wake up until they go to sleep - 'just brushed my teeth, got rid of that dragon breath LOL'

This is the new 'open source' war. Back in the beginning, programmers felt that all software should be free and available to anyone who wanted it. They fought anyone who felt that software should be copyrighted and purchased. Today's youth are the same way, information should be free and available to any one at all times and it doesn't matter what that information is. There are no secrets with social media.

-SQLBill

• BTW-Privacy is just about gone. The latest loss of privacy is with pictures. New cameras (even those on smart phones) are starting to include GeoTagging. What is that you may ask...it is tagging each photo with the geo coordinates of where the picture was taken. Cool way to remember where you took a picture. However, when someone else sees that photo, they can access the coordinates also. So what? Well, what if you post a picture of your cool new car in front of your house. Then a few days later you post you are going on a week's vacation. Someone can go to that photo and get the coordinates for your house and they know you are away. Likewise, what if you have a stalker? Don't think it can happen? Luckily for Adam of Mythbusters, it turned out good for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/technology/personaltech/12basics.html

Point is, we are steadily losing our privacy and tweeting, blogging, etc is just one more way that we are becoming more of an open society - in other words, in a few years everyone will know immediately what everyone else is doing.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill (9/7/2010)

BTW-Privacy is just about gone. The latest loss of privacy is with pictures. New cameras (even those on smart phones) are starting to include GeoTagging. What is that you may ask...it is tagging each photo with the geo coordinates of where the picture was taken. Cool way to remember where you took a picture. However, when someone else sees that photo, they can access the coordinates also. So what? Well, what if you post a picture of your cool new car in front of your house. Then a few days later you post you are going on a week's vacation. Someone can go to that photo and get the coordinates for your house and they know you are away. Likewise, what if you have a stalker? Don't think it can happen? Luckily for Adam of Mythbusters, it turned out good for him.

Point is, we are steadily losing our privacy and tweeting, blogging, etc is just one more way that we are becoming more of an open society - in other words, in a few years everyone will know immediately what everyone else is doing.

-SQLBill

The geotagging can be turned off, and it is also possible to remove photo metadata to get rid of the geotags.

• suriqx (9/8/2010)

SQLBill (9/7/2010)

BTW-Privacy is just about gone. The latest loss of privacy is with pictures. New cameras (even those on smart phones) are starting to include GeoTagging. What is that you may ask...it is tagging each photo with the geo coordinates of where the picture was taken. Cool way to remember where you took a picture. However, when someone else sees that photo, they can access the coordinates also. So what? Well, what if you post a picture of your cool new car in front of your house. Then a few days later you post you are going on a week's vacation. Someone can go to that photo and get the coordinates for your house and they know you are away. Likewise, what if you have a stalker? Don't think it can happen? Luckily for Adam of Mythbusters, it turned out good for him.

-SQLBill

The geotagging can be turned off, and it is also possible to remove photo metadata to get rid of the geotags.

Heh... "I Love My LandLine". Thanks for the excellent links and welcome aboard.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• WayneS (9/6/2010)

That's not why I don't get on those sites. I'm one of those folks that are absolutely paranoid about protecting my personal identity... and all of those social networking sites are not exactly on the up-and-up in protecting my identity, so I don't go to them.

You don't have to post much of anything up there. Your email isn't disclosed and you can limit your privacy pretty well. I don't use my real birthday, address, or other personal information up there.

• niall.baird (9/6/2010)

Without trying to derail the editorial, I really did think my wife and I were pretty much alone in the non-facebook (etc) world. Family and friends are always telling us that we "need" to get onto Facebook, but I really don't see the point. After spending 8-10 hours per day on the computer, coding my little heart out, I just don't want to spend the extra time updating everyone on what I had for lunch and what time I went to the toilet!!!! 🙂

Seriously, facebookers, your lives are not that interesting.:rolleyes:

I don't see a lot of that on FB. Most of my friends post pictures, or comments, like what you'd hear if you passed someone for 10sec on the street or in the hall. I think it's a great way to keep up with other people in a casual way, see what's happening in their lives.

Surprisingly, it's a great way to communicate. No lost emails, or dead addresses. A very interesting abstraction layer.

• Got to love Dilbert!!

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-09-15/

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply