Pizza Math

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Pizza Math

• While your comparison holds, your math doesn't.  Area is pi * r^2.  A 9 inch pizza is 4.5 inches radius.  Therefore about 63.6 square inches.

14090 SW TENNESSEE LN

• Even a quicker way to think about it is to disregard the Pi because it's used in both calculations.

9^2 = 81

2 * (5^2) = 25 + 25 = 50

81 - 50 = 31

You would need another pizza and a bit to break even. I'm not even considering the crust.

• There's actually no need for messy calculations with pi and so on. Think of it this way:

If we assume that the pizzas (5" and 9") have the same thickness, the amount of pizza is proportional to the area. This in turn is proportional to the square of the radius, or diameter (doesn't matter which, as long as you're consistent).

OK, 5 squared is 25, whereas 9 squared is 81. In other words, the 9 inch pizza contains 81/25 times more pizza than the 5 inch one., or 3.24 times as much! Even three 5-inch pizzas wouldn't have quite satisfied Steve's hunger.

Sorry you got ripped off Steve. I'd complain.

Side note... when I was living in Oslo back along, I would sometimes see a delivery van with 3.14ZZA emblazoned on the back. Thought that was brilliant.

MarkD

• As a bit of fun, I ran across this picture on LinkedIn about a week ago.  I laughed so hard it hurt. 😀

why it's call a pizza

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Pizza math is a fun way to use math concepts to solve pizza-related problems, such as calculating the area of a pizza or determining the best deal when comparing the prices of different-sized pizzas.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  herrylauu.

• BryanAdams6 wrote:

With Pizza I prefer the thickness rather than the width of the pies.

Chicago? Detroit?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply