Pivot? Function? Complex results required

• OK, maybe it's because today is my last day with my current employer (moving on to bigger and better things 😀 ), but this has got me really stumped.

I'll start with test data and expected results, then give the rules.

DECLARE @sampleData TABLE

(regionCode VARCHAR(30)

,locationID INT

,fullName VARCHAR(80)

,jobTitle VARCHAR(80)

,billable NUMERIC(9,2)

,nonBillable NUMERIC(9,2)

,activityName VARCHAR(4000))

INSERT @sampleData

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'DRAKE, SEAN', '', 0.00, 153.00, 'Office' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'FANN, ASHLEY', 'Cook', 18.50, 0.00, 'Billable Time' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'FANN, ASHLEY', 'Cook', 0.00, 14.75, 'Waiting' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'FANN, ASHLEY', 'Cook', 0.00, 1.25, 'Office' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'JOHNSON, ROBERT', '', 8.00, 0.00, 'Billable Time' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'LEE, CAROL', '', 39.00, 0.00, 'Billable Time' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'LEE, CAROL', '', 0.00, 0.50, 'Meeting' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'LEE, CAROL', '', 0.00, 9.25, 'Waiting' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'LEE, CAROL', '', 0.00, 1.00, 'Other'

/* Required Results

regionCode locationID fullName jobTitle billable nonBillable nonbillableActivityNames

Central 72 DRAKE, SEAN 0.00 153.00 Office

Central 72 FANN, ASHLEY Cook 18.50 16.00 Waiting, Office

Central 72 JOHNSON, ROBERT Cook 8.00 0.00

Central 72 LEE, CAROL 39.00 10.75 Meeting, Waiting, Other

*/

The complexity comes in with the nonBillable and nonbillableActivityNames columns.

- the nonBillable column is the sum for all values in the nonBillable column for any activityName other than 'Billable Time' for that instance of fullName (group by)

- the column nonbillableActivityNames needs to be a column delimited list of the activityName values other than 'Billable Time' for that instance of fullName (group by)

- the number of possible activityNames is unknown

I had thought of using a function, but I'm not too sure how to do that since this is a result set. I can't simply query the source data directly because there's a lot going on just to get the "sampleData" above.

Any suggestions are appreciated....

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • Not quite sure I understood. You have an activity called billable time, and then you have 2 columns called billable/non-billable?

What happens if the Billable time has something in the non-billable column?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Still- looks to me that an old-style pivot syntax (the sum(case when ...end) type of statement) ought to do what you wish

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (12/21/2007)

Not quite sure I understood. You have an activity called billable time, and then you have 2 columns called billable/non-billable?

What happens if the Billable time has something in the non-billable column?

It won't, it's actually a by product of the first version of the request from our people. I can gaurantee that Billable time will NEVER have anything in the non-billable column.

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • Matt Miller (12/21/2007)

Still- looks to me that an old-style pivot syntax (the sum(case when ...end) type of statement) ought to do what you wish

That only get s part of it. I need the nonbillableActivityNames to be comma delimited together...

And i hate to say it, but I'm off to a "going away" lunch so I won't be able to answer any questions for a couple hours.....

Jason L. Selburg
  • Well - the problem becomes MUCH simpler if you can implement CLR.

The Book online example for User-defined aggregates is a concatenate function, which would make this whole deal a whole lot easier....and it wouldn't take much to concatenate only unique values (although it will KILL performance on big sets).

Here's the URL

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms131056.aspx

Let me know if you need help that way. Otherwise - it's a temp table to concatenate the values, and then joining to the temp table.

• If you don't mind creating a function, this will do it.

if object_id('udf_csvlist') > 0

drop function udf_csvlist

go

create function udf_csvlist (@name varchar(255))

returns varchar(8000)

as

begin

declare @list varchar(8000)

select @list = coalesce(@list,'') + activityName + ', ' from sampleData

where fullname = @name

and activityname <> 'Billable Time'

set @list = left(@list, len(@list) - 1)

if @list is Null

set @list = ''

return @list

end

go

if object_id('sampleData') > 0

drop TABLE sampleData

CREATE TABLE sampleData (regionCode VARCHAR(30) ,locationID INT ,fullName VARCHAR(80) ,jobTitle VARCHAR(80) ,billable NUMERIC(9,2) ,nonBillable NUMERIC(9,2) ,activityName VARCHAR(4000))

INSERT sampleData

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'FANN, ASHLEY', 'Cook', 18.50, 0.00, 'Billable Time' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Central', 72, 'JOHNSON, ROBERT', '', 8.00, 0.00, 'Billable Time' UNION ALL

/* Required Results

regionCode locationID fullName jobTitle billable nonBillable nonbillableActivityNames

Central 72 DRAKE, SEAN Cook 0.00 153.00 Office

Central 72 FANN, ASHLEY Cook 18.50 16.00 Waiting, Office

Central 72 JOHNSON, ROBERT Cook 8.00 0.00

Central 72 LEE, CAROL Cook 39.00 10.75 Meeting, Waiting, Other

*/

SELECT regionCode, locationID, fullName, jobTitle , sum(billable) billable, sum(nonbillable)

nonbillable, dbo.udf_csvlist(fullname) nonbillableActivityNames

FROM sampleData GROUP BY regionCode, locationID, fullName, jobTitle

http://glossopian.co.uk/
    "I don't know what I don't know."

• Heh... I'm the new guy to 2k5 and even I know that you don't need a CLR to solve this bad-whammer with some very simple and fast code... 😛

Here's the whole shootin' match including the original test data...

I even took the liberty of aligning the decimal points...

--===== Create a test table

DECLARE @sampleData TABLE

(regionCode VARCHAR(30)

,locationID INT

,fullName VARCHAR(80)

,jobTitle VARCHAR(80)

,billable NUMERIC(9,2)

,nonBillable NUMERIC(9,2)

,activityName VARCHAR(4000))

--===== Populate the test table

INSERT @sampleData

--===== Solve the problem per the requirements

SELECT t2.RegionCode,

t2.LocationID,

t2.FullName,

t2.JobTitle,

STR(SUM(t2.Billable),8,2) AS Billable,

STR(SUM(t2.NonBillable),8,2) AS NonBillable,

ISNULL(

STUFF((SELECT ', '+t1.ActivityName

FROM @sampleData t1

WHERE t1.RegionCode = t2.RegionCode

AND t1.LocationID = t2.LocationID

AND t1.FullName = t2.FullName

AND t1.JobTitle = t2.JobTitle

AND t1.ActivityName NOT IN ('Billable Time') FOR XML PATH (''))

,1,2,'')

,'') AS NonBillableActivityNames

FROM @sampleData t2

GROUP BY

t2.RegionCode,

t2.LocationID,

t2.FullName,

t2.JobTitle

And, look Ma... no function!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff, thank you, that's perfect! that makes this day that much better, cause now I can go home. 😀

Jason L. Selburg
  • Think of it as a "going away present", Jason. Good luck on your new job!

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Thanks, After 5 years of heavy development and studying and a tad of admin I'm off to my first DBA position. It's still going to be heavy development, but more admin.

It's thanks to you (Jeff), Matt, Steve J and countless others on this site that's helped me get to where I am. That's why I try to give back as much as possible on here all the while trying to learn more and more.

Happy holiday's all!

Jason L. Selburg
  • That's quite a compliment, Jason. Thanks. Glad to see someone take it to the next level by actually getting a better job from what they're learned by looking at the code on this forum AND trying things on their own in reply's to other posters.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• No problem Jeff! I'm really starting to se the true value of the Tally table BTW.. 😀

Hey, you never answered my PM.

Jason L. Selburg
  • I take a few days off, and I forget one of the better tricks I learned this year.... But I see Jeff dusted it off! (Good to see you're starting to like some of the new tricks out there Jeff!)

Thank you for the high praise. I can hardly take credit for any help I might have provided, since I am usually spitting back out tips and tricks I learned on here. I'm happy to be of service though.

Good Luck in your new position!

• (Good to see you're starting to like some of the new tricks out there Jeff!)

Shoot... once I learned it, I was just aching for a place to use it! It's the only way I can keep up with you guys!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply