Pimp My Data Center

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Pimp My Data Center

• Nice article Steve!

as technology improves, the density of computing power is getting higher and higher... got get more MIPS and storage, less and less physical space is required. Think back to 5 years ago how many drives it would take for a TB vs. 1 small drive now....

• It is indeed an interesting thought to consider a "portable" data center. Could be extremely useful in areas prone to natural disaster. In the face of an impending disaster, simply move the container to a safer location until the danger passes. Something like this could also serve for DR. If my building catches on fire, I only have to pull the container out and move it (provided the container is fire safe).

Even a company needing more space than a single container can provide could have multiple containers. Sounds like a potential new business model - custom built containers with custom electrical/network connections so you can literally just pick it up and go.

• Not sure where this datacenter is... but it sure makes you go: hmmmmm...

Picutres courtese of sysadminday.com

LIghts Off

Lights On

• jim.powers (8/4/2008)

It is indeed an interesting thought to consider a "portable" data center. Could be extremely useful in areas prone to natural disaster. In the face of an impending disaster, simply move the container to a safer location until the danger passes. Something like this could also serve for DR. If my building catches on fire, I only have to pull the container out and move it (provided the container is fire safe).

Even a company needing more space than a single container can provide could have multiple containers. Sounds like a potential new business model - custom built containers with custom electrical/network connections so you can literally just pick it up and go.

Kind of like the 'pods' they have for moving.... hmmm that's interesting...

• Interesting stuff. I've never been directly involved in a data center build-out, though I helped design a telecomm site in the past and that had a lot of similarities. We're in the process of building a new City Hall and it's absurd what the architects designed for a data center. Inadequate power, no dedicated spaces for cable runs throughout the building, but my fav was the air conditioning: they didn't add any for our computer room, they believed that the existing building A/C could handle it.

I forwarded the article URLs to the IT director and our networking guy, I'm confident that will ensure that the move will be smooth and trouble-free. 😛

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Robert Hermsen (8/4/2008)

Not sure where this datacenter is... but it sure makes you go: hmmmmm...

Picutres courtese of sysadminday.com

That is VERY cool, Robert! Thanks for sharing!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• That is cool! nice Pix. Most data centers I've had that much equipment in had about 1/10th of the space.

I also heard that the new MS data center in Chicago will have something like space for 200 containers, which is interesting. Not sure how quickly you can move them, but if you had standard connections for power,cooling, network, etc., perhaps you could forklift them outside in a hurry if there were issues.

The idea of pods is a great one, even for buildings. Maybe architects should be designing a way for container data centers to be loaded into the building and removed if needed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply