performance issues

• Hi All,

i am maintaining internal applications in my company.suddenly today all application are running very slow;when users are opening internal site, it is taking too much time to open the particular menus.

If we open link it'll ask for authentication after that also taking time.

can any one please suggest where i need to check.

• 1. Is there any OS Updates are happened

2. Any Virus Updated Ran...

3. Have you Executed any big Transaction in the sql server

• Thanks for ur reply.

Till now there is no updates,anti virus happening in server.Normaly users are working daily basis.Today morning onwards all applications running slow.Almost 2000 users are accessing SQL Server 2005.

we have two servers :one is only ment for SQL databases and another one is application server.

• Please verify the following...

1. Check the system and sql eventviewer for timeout or any other connectivity issues.

2. Check the sufficient space avaiable for temp and user database.

3. Check to see if you any CPU spike in the box.

4.sp_who2 will give which process consuming the resource and blocking transactions.

5. Check recently any OS updates or paches has been applied.

6. Check the application for any unknow errors.

7. Verify the jobs execution time. In case if you have any jobs, verify how much time it is taking to complete and compare with the previous time periods.

regards

Hema.,

• thanks

i've checked each and everything no issues.

Nothing i did now its working fine.Really i dont known where i have to check.My Boss is asking me to give explanation why it happened

• Other the checks mentioned in the previous mail you need check for network issues. Are there any Jobs that are runing?

"Keep Trying"

• Daily we are scheduling the backups for both servrers @ below timings

Databases server:-8 am full backup and 11 am t-log and 4 am t- log ;

Application Server:-5 am full backup and 10 am t-log and 5 am t-log;

For taking backups we've backup server.

users are facing the slowness problem from today morning from 7 am to till evening 3:40; Now it is fine.

• Are your backups local or remote?

If local do they use the same set of disks as the databases?

Have you checked the size of the log files and the time taken to run backups?

Have you checked for disk queuing using performance monitor?

• yes we are taking backups locally and we are using HP backup Tape drivers.Total time is 10 to 12 mins and size 275 MB for T-log.

The users are facing the same problem daily morning until afternoon while logging in, allotting the files and opening the batches; it comes back to normal only after 2 pm.

please suggest any one..

• I recently ran into a similar problem (this morning, in fact). The backups to disk had taken up all the harddrive space because they had a problem getting moved to the tape. Check to make sure that the harddisks for the server still have some room on them.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• we are using data protector 6.0 and we take backups directly in tapes.

thanks.

• can any one please suggest in this post

thanks

kumar

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply