Perfomance issue with storeprocedure

• Hello,

I am using below store procedure to fetch the record on live, But it is taking too long time for execution.. 3 to 4 minutes it takes to fetch the records.

ALTER procedure [dbo].[GetCollegeSearchDetails]

(

@courseid numeric(18,0)=null

)

as

select Distinct cast(college_id as int)as college_id,[infra_id],[hostel_available],[hostel_boys],[hostel_girls],[library_available],[library_books],[library_cdvideo],[library_magazine],[library_journals],[bookbank],[internet],[lab],[staffquarters],[canteen],[bank],[atm],[seminarhall],[auditorium],[busservices],[scholarship],[sports_avai],[sports],[teaching_methodology] from college_infrafacilities

-- select Distinct cast(CollegeId as int)as college_id,[Cutoff],[Capround],[Year],[StreamId],[DegreeId],[YearId],[substream_name],[Gender],[UniversityType] from View_Cutoff_substream where Year=(select Max(Year)as Max_Year from View_Cutoff_substream) and Capround='C1' and Gender='M' and UniversityType ='H'

select Distinct cast(College_Id as int)as college_id,[CutoffId],[Cutoff],[Capround],[Year],cast ([StreamId] as int) as SubStreamId,Cast([streamgroup_id] as int) as StreamId,Cast ([DegreeId] as int) as DegreeId,Cast([YearId] as int) as YearId,[substream_name],Cast([EntranceId] as int) as EntranceId,[EntranceName],[Gender],[UniversityType] from [View_College_CutOff]

select Distinct cast(college_id as int)as college_id,Views,View_id,Ratings from College_ViewMaster

select Distinct cast(UniversityId as int)as UniversityId,UniversityName,popular from college_universitymaster

select Distinct cast(college_id as int)as college_id,college_clienttype from college_master where college_clienttype='paid'

select top 20 cast(college_id as int)as college_id,substream_name,cast(substream_id as int)as substream_id,[streamgroup_name],cast([course_id] as int)as [course_id],cast([streamgroup_id] as int)as [streamgroup_id],[college_logo],[college_name],[course_name],[universityid],cast([degree_id] as int)as [degree_id],cast(city_id as int) as city_id,[degree_name],[populer_stream],CityName as city_name FROM View_College_Search_Details where course_id=@courseid

Go

All queries are right, but it is affecting performance part.

I am using a below view in store procedure,

ALTER VIEW [dbo].[View_College_Search_Details]

AS

SELECT TOP (100) PERCENT dbo.college_contactdetails.city_id, dbo.college_citymaster.CityName, dbo.college_citymaster.popular, dbo.college_coursemaster.course_name,

dbo.college_degreemaster.degree_name, dbo.college_streamgroupmaster.populer_stream, dbo.college_streamgroupmaster.streamgroup_name,

dbo.college_master.college_status, dbo.college_master.college_accreditation, dbo.college_master.college_logo, dbo.college_master.college_name,

dbo.college_coursetransition.course_id, dbo.college_coursetransition.degree_id, dbo.college_coursetransition.streamgroup_id,

dbo.college_coursetransition.college_id, dbo.college_coursetransition.universityid, dbo.college_coursetransition.intake, dbo.college_coursetransition.fees,

dbo.college_bankmaster.bank_name, dbo.college_bankdetails.bank_id, dbo.college_substreammaster.substream_name,

dbo.college_coursetransition.substream_id

FROM dbo.college_bankmaster INNER JOIN

dbo.college_bankdetails ON dbo.college_bankmaster.bank_id = dbo.college_bankdetails.bank_id RIGHT OUTER JOIN

dbo.college_streamgroupmaster RIGHT OUTER JOIN

dbo.college_citymaster INNER JOIN

dbo.college_contactdetails ON dbo.college_citymaster.CityId = dbo.college_contactdetails.city_id RIGHT OUTER JOIN

dbo.college_master INNER JOIN

dbo.college_coursetransition ON dbo.college_master.college_id = dbo.college_coursetransition.college_id ON

dbo.college_contactdetails.college_id = dbo.college_coursetransition.college_id LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.college_substreammaster ON dbo.college_coursetransition.substream_id = dbo.college_substreammaster.substream_id ON

dbo.college_streamgroupmaster.streamgroup_id = dbo.college_coursetransition.streamgroup_id LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.college_degreemaster ON dbo.college_coursetransition.degree_id = dbo.college_degreemaster.degree_id ON

dbo.college_bankdetails.college_id = dbo.college_coursetransition.college_id LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.college_coursemaster ON dbo.college_coursetransition.course_id = dbo.college_coursemaster.course_id

GO

Table has more than 38,000 records.

Please help...

Thanks & Regards,
    Pallavi

• pallavi.unde (5/30/2012)

select top 20 cast(college_id as int)as college_id,substream_name,cast(substream_id as int)as substream_id,[streamgroup_name],cast([course_id] as int)as [course_id],cast([streamgroup_id] as int)as [streamgroup_id],[college_logo],[college_name],[course_name],[universityid],cast([degree_id] as int)as [degree_id],cast(city_id as int) as city_id,[degree_name],[populer_stream],CityName as city_name FROM View_College_Search_Details where course_id=@courseid

Why all the CASTs to INT? What data types are you using in the base tables? Good performance starts with having a well-designed database.

ALTER VIEW [dbo].[View_College_Search_Details] AS SELECT TOP (100) PERCENT ... FROM ...INNER JOIN ... RIGHT OUTER JOIN ... RIGHT OUTER JOIN ... INNER JOIN ... RIGHT OUTER JOIN ... INNER JOIN ... LEFT OUTER JOIN ... LEFT OUTER JOIN ... LEFT OUTER JOIN...

TOP (100) PERCENT does nothing in a VIEW in modern versions of SQL Server (and even where it had an effect, in SQL Server 2000, there had to be an ORDER BY clause. Views are just stored queries; the result is not stored, it is combined with the query that references the view, and then optimized. If you must define views like this, follow the advice given in the following links to ensure the view is optimizer-friendly:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/robfarley/archive/2008/11/09/join-simplification-in-sql-server.aspx (blog)

http://sqlbits.com/Sessions/Event5/Designing_for_simplification (video)

There appear to be multiple major problems with your database and query design. Correcting the problems properly will likely require a fairly fundamental rethink and redesign - too much for a form question. I hope you find the links useful.

• Actually i need all columns from view and storeprocedure.

one of my friend recommended me to use index... i am not using index in database. is it really feasible solution to increase a performance????

Thanks & Regards,
    Pallavi

• You have no indexes? No wonder you have poor performance...

Start with these.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Indexing/68439/

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Indexing/68563/

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Indexing/68636/

And I agree the database looks like it may need a bit of a redesign. May I suggest that you consider getting someone (a consultant good at optimisation) to redesign and tune the DB?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have no idea about indexing actually...

can you please tell how it can implement on database.

step i followed to search :-

1. I opened the table design.

2. right click on primary key id it shown indexes/keys, fulltext index and xml index.

i am not able to get to which key index we need to create and how? also how to check on performance part?

Thanks & Regards,
    Pallavi

• pallavi.unde (5/30/2012)

I have no idea about indexing actually...

can you please tell how it can implement on database.

Did you read the articles?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Mostly i need to create index on primary key but.... primary key is irself a clustered index.. is there any index which work fast on primary key.

Thanks & Regards,
    Pallavi

• A primary key is backed by an index, you wouldn't create a second index on the same column, serves no point and wastes space

Gail Shaw

• Ok i will read the articles if any doubt then again will ask you... please support me for that.

Thanks & Regards,
    Pallavi

• GilaMonster (5/30/2012)

May I suggest that you consider getting someone (a consultant good at optimisation) to redesign and tune the DB?

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (5/30/2012)

GilaMonster (5/30/2012)

May I suggest that you consider getting someone (a consultant good at optimisation) to redesign and tune the DB?

Agreed. The complexity of this one alone goes way beyond forum assistance, and adding in the total lack of knowledge about indexing and the OP has no hope of success here without professional help. And OP, I meant no disrespect with that - it is a statement that is based on the known information based on 15+ years of database experience. People not trained to fly an airplane can't do that either.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply