Patches

• How do I generate a report which tells me if my sqlservers are upto date on patches ?

Is there a Microsoft central source/repository which has the entire relevant list which I can use as source ?

• These are the two reference sites I use for the list of available patches

https://sqlcollaborative.github.io/builds

https://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com/

As for the report I would do it from a central management server or use DBATools to go and get the patch level and report back and compare it against a downloaded RSS feed or the excel sheet.

But remember not all is glitters that is new, MS have had a habit recently of breaking servers with patches, probably best to leave it a month or so before applying latest and greatest so that any issues can be ironed out, like the latest patch the other day is breaking some peoples master database and the services wont start.

• Ant-Green wrote:

But remember not all is glitters that is new, MS have had a habit recently of breaking servers with patches, probably best to leave it a month or so before applying latest and greatest so that any issues can be ironed out, like the latest patch the other day is breaking some peoples master database and the services wont start.

Sage advice.  We do the same... wait a month after a CU or other patch has come out.  Then we deploy to dev and wait a week to install to staging/UAT and wait until the following weekend to deploy to prod.  It has saved the hair on the left side of our head more than once.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply