Passing a Variable to Varchar(#)

• I have the following code, and what I would like to be able to do is pass a variable to the varchar () statement.  I get an error that says "incorrect syntax near @OcSqNoLength"

Any ideas?  Thanks.

DECLARE @OcSqNoLength INT

SET @OcSqNoLength = (SELECT  MAX (LEN(OCCUSEQNO)) FROM OCCUPANTHEADER)

--PRINT @OcSqNoLength

SELECT  top 10

--(SELECT  MAX (LEN(OCCUSEQNO)) FROM OCCUPANTHEADER)

B.PROPERTYID

, B.UNITID

, B.OCCUSEQNO

, B.PROPERTYID+'-'+B.UNITID+'-'+CAST(B.OCCUSEQNO AS VARCHAR(@OcSqNoLength))

FROM LEASEWITHSTATUS A

INNER JOIN OCCUPANTHEADER B ON A.PROPERTYID=B.PROPERTYID AND A.BLDGID=B.BLDGID

AND A.UNITID=B.UNITID AND A.RESIID=B.RESIID

AND A.CALCDATE = CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), GETDATE(),101)

AND A.OCCUSTATUS IN ('C','N')

• You cannot use a variable to define the length of a varchar() datatype.  A varchar() is variable in length by nature.  What datatype is B.OCCUSEQNO?  Define your varchar large enough to hold the maximum length of that datatype.  I have a feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye.  What are you trying to accomplish with this?  Is this a formatting issue?

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• What's a point?

If B.OCCUSEQNO is a number then CAST(B.OCCUSEQNO AS VARCHAR(9)) will return absolutely the same string as CAST(B.OCCUSEQNO AS VARCHAR(1009))

• Thanks, was more of science experiment than anything else.  Figured I would have to simply use varchar(10).....occuseqno is an int currently.

Thanks all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply