Partitioning Limits in SQL Server 2019

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Partitioning Limits in SQL Server 2019

• Great question to start off the week, Miles!

• It's a little spooky that about half the people that have answered so far have gotten this one wrong.  Not because it's partitioning but because people won't take the time to look it up or don't know how to look it up.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

It's a little spooky that about half the people that have answered so far have gotten this one wrong.  Not because it's partitioning but because people won't take the time to look it up or don't know how to look it up.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

• The explanation is not quite accurate since 15K partitions were supported in SQL Server 2008 SP2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Explanation

The partitioning limit for SQL Server 2019 for tables and indexes is 15,000.  This is true for all versions starting with SQL Server 2012.  Before SQL Server 2012 the partitioning limit was 1,000.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/e/1/be1aabb3-6ed8-4c3c-af91-448ab733b1af/support_for_15000_partitions.docx

• Understood but, unless specifically stated (and I found this out the hard way a long time ago), the QOTD questions are based on the current version of SQL and do not include versions that are no longer supported.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Seems like the explanation paraphrase just left out a key phrase from the official documentation:

SQL Server 2019 (15.x) supports up to 15,000 partitions by default. In versions earlier than SQL Server 2012 (11.x), the number of partitions was limited to 1,000 by default. On x86-based systems, creating a table or index with more than 1,000 partitions is possible, but is not supported.

(my emphasis)

Cheers!

• I'm not sure why such an omission matters.  The title of the question specifically cited "Partitioning Limits in SQL Server 2019" and the link is to the official documentaion.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I know. I'm not saying it makes the question or answer incorrect.

I was just providing a possible reason for the explanation's being inaccurate in the way JeremyE pointed out.

That the explanation is inaccurate is clear; whether it matters to anyone is a different question entirely, and one I'm not qualified to answer 🙂

• Jacob Wilkins wrote:

I know. I'm not saying it makes the question or answer incorrect.

I was just providing a possible reason for the explanation's being inaccurate in the way JeremyE pointed out.

That the explanation is inaccurate is clear; whether it matters to anyone is a different question entirely, and one I'm not qualified to answer 🙂

Ah... got it.  Thanks, Jacob and Jeremy.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• remeber doing a presentation on this topic at a SQL user Group meeting in 2009, when only 1000 partitions were supported.

a lot has changed since then, it seems...

Nice question, thanksMiles

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply