Parsing Parameters in a Stored Procedure

• Patibandla (8/11/2010)

Really a very nice article to spare with. But , In case of tables containing large amounts of data , i think it's not a good practice to use CharIndex. instead you can simply use a table valued function which can return you the desired result set

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[udf_GetStringToTable]-- 'JJHJ,JJJJJJJJJ' ,','

(

@StringData VARCHAR(MAX)

, @Delineator VARCHAR(1)

)

RETURNS @ResultTable TABLE

(

ColumnID VARCHAR(MAX)

)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @ColumnID VARCHAR(MAX)

, @Pos INT

SET @StringData = LTRIM(RTRIM(@StringData))+ @Delineator

SET @Pos = CHARINDEX(@Delineator, @StringData, 1)

IF REPLACE(@StringData, @Delineator, '') <> ''

BEGIN

WHILE @Pos > 0

BEGIN

SET @ColumnID = LTRIM(RTRIM(LEFT(@StringData, @Pos - 1)))

IF @ColumnID <> ''

BEGIN

INSERT INTO @ResultTable (ColumnID)

VALUES (@ColumnID)

END

SET @StringData = RIGHT(@StringData, LEN(@StringData) - @Pos)

SET @Pos = CHARINDEX(@Delineator, @StringData, 1)

END

END

RETURN

END

I agree, but the key point of my writing was precisely how to avoid the procedural loop. Other posts show similar solutions, as I do at the beginning of the article, but I tried to remark (maybe unfortunately) the compactness of a pure SQL solution (also putting aside performance considerations when using large tables. I wait anxiously some performance test as Jeff promised).

• dbuendiab (8/10/2010)

Hi, Jay:

You're right, I didn't remember OPENXML. Still I would not switch to a XML-formed parameter passing for several reasons - being the main the way users like to get their information. They feel comfortable with a comma-separed argument.

oh, I would never ask for xml from a user. I'm not even hung up on using xml. I was just saying that xml processing is there in ss2000.

• no one able to find the massive thread ? link please !

• Jay Hopping (8/11/2010)

dbuendiab (8/10/2010)

Hi, Jay:

You're right, I didn't remember OPENXML. Still I would not switch to a XML-formed parameter passing for several reasons - being the main the way users like to get their information. They feel comfortable with a comma-separed argument.

oh, I would never ask for xml from a user. I'm not even hung up on using xml. I was just saying that xml processing is there in ss2000.

That's the point, Jay, if you have intermediate users that don't mind to write in MSQuery a SQL command like

Exec dbo.General_SP 'param1,param2,param3'

but don't go so far as to develop a UI to get well-formed XML.

• When I am developing a stored procedure for reporting purposes, something that is driven by one or more sets of parameters, the parameters are typically contained in a table. I'll have a table called something like [batch] that relates parameters contained in [batch_reports] and [batch_clients]. What gets passed to the stored procedure us just [batch_id], and the runtime parameters are keyed off of that. Each time a batch is executed, a record is inserted into [batch_extract], so I know exactly when the batch of reports were run and what parameters were used. Even for ad-hoc reports where the user specifies one-off parameters, I'll store everying in the same table structure just as if it were a canned batch, except it gets executed once instead of being scheduled.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• oh, I was never pushing xml so much as saying it is possible in 2k. The only point I made about the article was that you could possibly check for bad data with the following:

If @@RowCount <> (LEN(REPLACE('as,df,sa,as,',',',''))/2)

Begin

End

• I copied the code from your post and tried to run to better understand your logic.

However, I was stuck in the first piece (the loop version).

It seems you did not declare @tStates, which I am not sure why variable type it should be...

Could you kindly help?

• Jeff Moden (8/11/2010)

My apologies... I got out of work quite late tonight and only had time for some verbal replies. I'll try to get to the coded replies which will include some speed tests for a lot of the methods included in this thread including the one from the article. As Pappy says, "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions".

Thanks for waiting.

I don't know if I'm whistling in the wind, beating a dead horse or what -- but I'll say it again: Erland Sommarskog has a comprehensive coverage of this topic at: http://www.sommarskog.se/arrays-in-sql-perftest.html. Including performance, test data, and literally a DOZEN different ways of doing it.

On the other hand, it never hurts to test something yourself...

oh, I was never pushing xml so much as saying it is possible in 2k. The only point I made about the article was that you could possibly check for bad data with the following:

Begin

End

If your only worry is about data length it seems ok. But 'XX' would render ok also. I studied the validating question from a (I hope) more general perspective in a previous post:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost967298.aspx

• Eric Russell 13013 (8/11/2010)

When I am developing a stored procedure for reporting purposes, something that is driven by one or more sets of parameters, the parameters are typically contained in a table. I'll have a table called something like [batch] that relates parameters contained in [batch_reports] and [batch_clients]. What gets passed to the stored procedure us just [batch_id], and the runtime parameters are keyed off of that. Each time a batch is executed, a record is inserted into [batch_extract], so I know exactly when the batch of reports were run and what parameters were used. Even for ad-hoc reports where the user specifies one-off parameters, I'll store everying in the same table structure just as if it were a canned batch, except it gets executed once instead of being scheduled.

If I have undestood well, Eric, that solution predefines a collection of settings. It seems a reasonable perspective, but in my case I had no way to know 'a priori' what kind of combinations users would need.

I used a similar technique to get the sets of parameters more used with I used a similar technique to capture the combinations of parameters more often required by users, with the idea of generating cache tables daily.

• Christine Sun (8/11/2010)

I copied the code from your post and tried to run to better understand your logic.

However, I was stuck in the first piece (the loop version).

It seems you did not declare @tStates, which I am not sure why variable type it should be...

Could you kindly help?

It's supposed to be the table where you'll get the splitted parameters:

Declare @tStates table ( state char(2) )

I guess I did a copy-paste of the declaration for the not looped sample, but it seems to have been rather a cut and paste-Sorry.

• dbuendiab (8/11/2010)

Jay Hopping (8/11/2010)

oh, I was never pushing xml so much as saying it is possible in 2k. The only point I made about the article was that you could possibly check for bad data with the following:

Begin

End

If your only worry is about data length it seems ok. But 'XX' would render ok also. I studied the validating question from a (I hope) more general perspective in a previous post:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost967298.aspx

Yes, that previous post does identify the wrong entries which mine doesn't. Though, I don't believe you understood my snippet so here's some code from the article with my change to detect bad entries and your change to identify the bad entries.

soo... if I was stranded on some deserted island somewhere and I couldn't get to sqlservercentral.com to find out what was better, looping, charindex, clr, tally, xml, etc. I would prefer the following since it identifies bad entries even when good entries are submitted.

-- Imagine this table exists previously in your database ----

Declare @T_STATES table ( state char(2) )

Insert @T_STATES Values ( 'AZ' )

Insert @T_STATES Values ( 'CA' )

Insert @T_STATES Values ( 'MT' )

Insert @T_STATES Values ( 'TX' )

Insert @T_STATES Values ( 'WA' )

Insert @T_STATES Values ( 'TS' )

Declare @sParameter varchar(8000)

Set @sParameter = 'AZ,MT,YY,ZZ'

Declare @tStates table ( state char(2) )

Insert @tStates

Select state

From @T_STATES

Where CharIndex( state, @sParameter ) > 0

If @@RowCount <> (LEN(REPLACE(@sParameter,',',''))/2)

BEGIN

select @sParameter = replace( @sParameter, state + ',', '' )

from @T_STATES

--order by orderby

Select @sParameter + ' are not valid values. Valid values are:' As InfoMessage

Union All

Select state

From @T_STATES

--Return

END

SELECT 'my report', * FROM @tStates AS ts

edit 1: fixed copy/paste error where a string was getting parsed instead of the variable @sParameter.

• I have published updates to the article by the author.

• after further thought, I don't like my suggestion because it doesn't work with differing lengths of items.

after further thought, I don't like my suggestion because it doesn't work with differing lengths of items.

I was about to tell you. It operates only on fixed length parameters.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply