Order of processing of windows function

• Hi Experts,

Please can you let me know the order of processing of the window functions,

1. The second in order DENSE_RANK is executed first before the first one, is this right ?
    2. when I add group by to the below commands, there is no change whatsoever. May I know why group by has no impact
    Select 
    t.TrackId, t.Name, t.AlbumId, T.MediaTypeId, t.GenreId, T.Composer, T.Milliseconds, T.UnitPrice
    ,DENSE_RANK() over( order by T.Milliseconds desc) As TrackDurationRank -- 1
    ,DENSE_RANK() over (Partition by t.AlbumId order by T.Milliseconds desc) as TrackdurationPerAlbum -- 2
    FROM dbo.Track t;
    --Order by T.AlbumId asc, T.Milliseconds desc
    Go

Select
    t.TrackId, t.Name, t.AlbumId, T.MediaTypeId, t.GenreId, T.Composer, T.Milliseconds, T.UnitPrice -- 1
    ,DENSE_RANK() over (Partition by t.AlbumId order by T.Milliseconds desc) as TrackdurationPerAlbum --2
    ,DENSE_RANK() over( order by T.Milliseconds desc) As TrackDurationRank
    FROM dbo.Track t;
    --Order by T.AlbumId asc, T.Milliseconds desc
    Go

Dense_Rank_Order

Thanks a lot for help

1. Whatever the optimiser chooses - the calculation of one is not dependent on the other
    2. Unless you also show us the code containing the GROUP BY, this is difficult to answer. But it's probably because your grouping is such that there is no aggregation occurring.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• It's real simple... Group By does not guarantee the order of the output, period.  Only an ORDER BY will make that guarantee.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply