ORDER BY = Bubble Sort ? Quick Sort ? Insertion Sort ?

• karthik M (3/8/2013)

Why does it matter which one SQL uses?

I am asking "Out of Curiosity" to know the algorithm used by the engine.

So download the public symbols, attach a debugger to SQL Server and walk through what runs when you order a query.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I would suspect that there's some sort of internal algorithm used to select the best sort algorithm for a given data set, based on the data type, data volumes etc

• Besides - all of those sorts methods you mentioned presume a flat list structure. The internals for how tables are structured are anything but flat.

In short - I suspect the actual answer is "none of the above".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (3/8/2013)

Besides - all of those sorts methods you mentioned presume a flat list structure. The internals for how tables are structured are anything but flat.

I'd tend to agree with Matt on this - my suspicion is that it will use a heavily optimised hash table in most circumstances but the only people that can give you a definitive answer would be Microsoft.

You could try asking on MSDN.

• Curiosity is a great thing!

Without it, elephants wouldn't have trunks...

What does the Crocodile have for dinner?...

:hehe:

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• Eugene Elutin (3/11/2013)

Curiosity is a great thing!

Whatever it wants...

• Lynn Pettis (3/11/2013)

Eugene Elutin (3/11/2013)

Curiosity is a great thing!

Whatever it wants...

It prefers to start with curios, little elephants, actually... (as per Rudyard Kipling)

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• I thought Fried Rice 😀 & Egg Omlet 😛

karthik

• There are two different sort logics used by SQL Server to handle sorting! First one is the quick sort and another one is Merge sort. It begins sort in memory using Quick Sort algorithm but note that the memory requirement for this is at least 200% of its input rows size. Now if the memory grant is exceeded(even by a single byte), it spills entire immediate sort and remaining sort to disk. Then it will complete the sort on disk using Merge Sort algorithm.

Pawan Kumar Khowal

MSBISkills.com

Regards,
    Pawan Kumar Khowal
    MSBISkills.com

• Pawan Kumar Khowal (7/1/2015)

There are two different sort logics used by SQL Server to handle sorting! First one is the quick sort and another one is Merge sort. It begins sort in memory using Quick Sort algorithm but note that the memory requirement for this is at least 200% of its input rows size. Now if the memory grant is exceeded(even by a single byte), it spills entire immediate sort and remaining sort to disk. Then it will complete the sort on disk using Merge Sort algorithm.

Pawan Kumar Khowal

MSBISkills.com

Rather than us just taking your word for it, please tell us how you came to these findings. Thanks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I know it's an old thread, but since it's been revived today, Paul White discusses the internals of the various sorts used by SQL Server in these two fairly recent articles:

http://sqlperformance.com/2015/04/sql-plan/internals-of-the-seven-sql-server-sorts-part-1

and

http://sqlperformance.com/2015/05/sql-plan/internals-of-the-seven-sql-server-sorts-part-2

Cheers!

• crmitchell (3/11/2013)

Matt Miller (#4) (3/8/2013)

Besides - all of those sorts methods you mentioned presume a flat list structure. The internals for how tables are structured are anything but flat.

I'd tend to agree with Matt on this - my suspicion is that it will use a heavily optimised hash table in most circumstances but the only people that can give you a definitive answer would be Microsoft.

Ok I'll bite. How do you sort with a hash table? Isn't that the sort of index that you use when you DON'T want sorted / ISAM like access?

edit: missed the post dates LOL

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/7/2015)

crmitchell (3/11/2013)

Ok I'll bite. How do you sort with a hash table? Isn't that the sort of index that you use when you DON'T want sorted / ISAM like access?

You sort the index which holds the hashes to the original table.

• crmitchell (7/7/2015)

patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/7/2015)

crmitchell (3/11/2013)

It might return the hashes in sorted order, but you want the original rows in sorted order.

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/7/2015)

crmitchell (7/7/2015)

patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/7/2015)

crmitchell (3/11/2013)

It might return the hashes in sorted order, but you want the original rows in sorted order.

No, the point of a hash table is that you don't need to change the location of the data on the filesystem. You sort on the key in the hashtable not the hash. The hash is a pointer to the location of the original row

The result of the query would be the original rows ordered according to the key on the hashtable.

Its the same principle as a nonclustered index which isn't a covering index but implemented at a lower level

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply