oracle to oracle etl using SSIS

• Hi Folks,

one of the new guys at our workplace has mentioned that you can do an etl between 2 oracle databases using SSIS SQL 2008. Does anyone know any good doco on this? Our oracle dba thinks you will need to run the oracle client off the server run SSIS but I had a feeling OLEDB would take care of all of this.. can anyone shed light here?

• Your DBA is on the right path. You will need to have the appropriate SQL*Net software installed onto the server that you are running the SSIS packages from (and also any workstation that is being used for development. You will also need a correctly configured TNSNAMES.ORA (I think that is the right name) on the server.

Once that is in place, you can then use an OLEDB Provider for Oracle to access you Oracle databases.

• is there any tips to optimize a etl from oracle to oracle using ssis

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• bodhilove (1/13/2009)

... you can do an etl between 2 oracle databases using SSIS SQL 2008.

why would you want to add SS overhead to ETL process?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• stewartc-708166 (12/28/2009)

If the ETL is a simple data feed, then oracle can do that without any challenges using PL/SQL.

However, for large volumes and/or complex transformations (e.g. check for existence, applying fuzzy logic, etc), SSIS can definitely simplify the process (especially if built & deployed on a 64 bit server)

I have to disagree on this one.

1- There is nothing you can't do using PL/SQL

2- The larger the data volume and/or the more complex the logic/transformations the more overhead you will add if adding SS in the middle.

Keep it simple, Oracle to Oracle?... use Oracle! 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply