OPENQUERY Error on a linked server

• Thanks.. This helped a bunch by allowing me to run sp_Who2 and limit the results only to blockers.

[font="Courier New"] SELECT

t.*

FROM

OPENQUERY(MyServerName, 'SET FMTONLY OFF; EXEC master.dbo.sp_Who2') t

WHERE

t.BlkBy != ' . '[/font]

• David,

My understanding is that OPENQUERY must return a result set, which is why it can be used wherever a able expression is appropriate, such as a FROM clause. I don't understand why direct calling of your procedure is not effective, but it looks like you have a permission error of some sort. My recommendation would be to see if you can resolve the error, and then call it via a 4-part name as you attemped:

[SERVERNAME]...SP_Name 'email.email.com','SPPassword'

Nonetheless, I found that with some test code, even though I received an error, an insert still occurred. This was tested in SQL2000 and SQL 2008.

Here's some sample code:

use tempdb

create table dbo.myTemp

(col1 int identity(1,1)

,col2 datetime default getdate()

,col3 varchar(10) )

go

create procedure dbo.test1

(@myVal varchar(10) )

as

begin

insert myTemp (col3)

values(@myVal)

end

go

-- !!! REPLACE myServerName with the actual name of your sql server instance

select * from openquery([i]myServerName[/i], 'set fmtonly off; exec tempdb.dbo.test1 ''AA'' ')

select * from tempdb.dbo.myTemp

/* Cleanup when done

drop proc dbo.test1

drop table dbo.myTemp

*/

Bottom line: Doing inserts in a proc via OPENQUERY does not seem especially robust. As I said above, try the 4-part name call first.

Scott Thornburg

• DFolz,

Excellent use! I've done something similar, filtering by database or user or SPID. You can also use this to insert the results of SP_WHO2 into a table (have to pre-create the table or use a SELECT INTO, and watch out for the double SPID column).

Glad this helped,

Scott Thornburg

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply