Oops! Apologies

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Oops! Apologies

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Tons of gold in there about integrity, commitment, and building trust.

Environments that punish mistakes are usually miserable and have high turn-over rates.  I saw this in the Air Force and in private companies.  Often you can see hiding, covering up, shifting blame, and no one wanting to stick their neck out.

Being able to own the small day-to-day mistakes and make up for them pays off huge when things get really dicey.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Rob Buecker.
  • Great points. I wasn't even thinking about that at all. Happily, I haven't received so much as a finger wag for dropping the ball. I mean, Steve is going to come along and give me a hard time, but, you know, that's how it goes. But yeah, I've worked in places where it was better to hide stuff than fess up. I hated it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Great points. I wasn't even thinking about that at all. Happily, I haven't received so much as a finger wag for dropping the ball. I mean, Steve is going to come along and give me a hard time, but, you know, that's how it goes. But yeah, I've worked in places where it was better to hide stuff than fess up. I hated it.

I think a lot of it comes from being an ex-submarine sailor and the training there.  Heh... I remember being asked what the difference between a "leak" and "flooding" was during my Dolphin Quals Board.  I answered the text book answers with drip rates, etc, etc.  And then I said that none of that was actually important as a part of the definition.  They looked at me strange and one of them asked me why.  I explained to them that if you find the water, it's a leak.  If the water finds you, it's flooding.  None of the argued the point.

The same goes with owning errors and doing it early.  It helps keep leaks from becoming flooding.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• mess up = swallow its aftermath ... at least in my opinion.

I know that is not everybody's opinion, but it's the way I roll.

Be honest, especially to yourself.

In many cases, I even get away with it stating: "Every once in a while, I need to prove I'm still human after all"

You can only try to make as few mistakes as possible.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I think it is important that juniors see seniors own up to mistakes, especially the embarrassing ones.  Lead by example.

• I am fortunate to have worked my entire career in organizations where admitting to and owning your mistakes is respected, and failing to do so gets you fired. My first manager when I started working after earning a degree flat out said that "if you aren't making mistakes you aren't working hard enough, but try not to make the same mistake twice".

• Ross McMicken wrote:

I am fortunate to have worked my entire career in organizations where admitting to and owning your mistakes is respected, and failing to do so gets you fired. My first manager when I started working after earning a degree flat out said that "if you aren't making mistakes you aren't working hard enough, but try not to make the same mistake twice".

I can't sugar coat it, you've been lucky. I've worked (for a short time) at some pretty nasty places. Even so, I generally approached things the way I would anyway. Sometimes hurt me, sometimes hurt others oddly enough. But hoo boy, yeah, you've been lucky.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply