only select, view definition on schema, but otherwise grant alter on database

• For a given role 'dev_role', I'm trying to be restrictive to SELECT and VIEW DEFINITION for a particular schema 'foo', but otherwise, I wish to confer GRANT ALTER to dev_role.

How can I make schema 'foo' restrictive for dev_role while retaining ALTER permissions across the database apart from 'foo'?

grant alter to dev_role;

grant select, view definition on schema::foo to dev_role;

This lets me do the following, which I don't want:create table foo.bar (i int);

If I subsequently use: deny control on schema::foo to dev_role...then I'm rather unsurprisingly unable to run the following:select * from foo.mytableI must be missing something basic, but thus far no joy...

- John

• Me think know ansur:

Not quite what I was going for to begin with, but these 2 solutions are probably more sensible than [font="Courier New"]GRANT ALTER to dev_role[/font]:

Solution 1 (no explicit GRANTs to schema 'foo' necesssary):

GRANT SELECT, VIEW DEFINITION to dev_role

GRANT CONTROL on schema::dbo to dev_role

Solution 2 (only schema-specific permissions):

ALTER AUTHORIZATION on schema::foo TO db_ddladmin

GRANT SELECT, VIEW DEFINITION on schema::foo to dev_role

GRANT CONTROL on schema::dbo to dev_role

AFAICS, either of these will lock down schema 'foo' as initially intended, while permitting liberal permissions on the default 'dbo' schema.

Took some head-scratching and brick-wall acquaintances to get there, but these are making sense to me unless anyone sees holes with this approach...

• Looks like those may work. Have you tried them, yet?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for eyeballing this Jeff.

Yes, when executing within the context of the 'dev_role' role the following 2 statements fail as intended:create table foo.bar (i int);

execute as user = 'dbo';

And the following 2 succeed as intended:create table dbo.bar (i int);

select * from foo.readonlytable;

So, short of an exhaustive security audit or setting up a full-blown array of tests, I think dev_role meets the requirements. Permissioning schemes tax the old noggin right quick!

Cheers,

John

• Very cool, John. That's awesome. Thanks for posting what you tried and done. Really appreciate it.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Hey! As a bit of a sidebar, something like this would make a great "SQL SPACKLE" article. You should take up the pen and submit an article.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeff - taking up the pen on the topic of permissions is something I'll have to deliberate over. Hopefully I can find some time to follow through on that and come up with a draft that's spackle-worthy : )

Cheers,

John

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply