one ssis package to load all .csv files into relevant tables

• Hi,

How is it possible to use just one package to load all the .csv files into the related tables?

thank you

• arkiboys (6/3/2016)

Hi,

How is it possible to use just one package to load all the .csv files into the related tables?

thank you

"all the .csv files" ... in the world? In your organisation? In a particular folder?

If option 3, then yes.

If option 2, then probably.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• You can load multiple files into multiple tables in one SSIS package.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Phil P we really need a "+1" button 😀

Steve.

• arkiboys (6/3/2016)

Hi,

thank you

Unless the format of all the files were structurally identical, then only by the system knowing what to expect in the form of either a "header checker" or "file location checker" , both of which would require a configuration table, and then by using some dynamic code that would probably be quite difficult to pull off in SSIS.

Personally and unless you have dozens of different file formats, that seems like serious overkill. And, if someone makes a mistake in that single package, then ALL of your imports will tank.

If all the files are structurally identical, then a "FOR LOOP" (I think that's what they call it... I avoid SSIS) would probably be what you're looking for because, as GSquared mentioned above, it's a pretty common practice to divert parts of rows to different tables in SSIS.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thank you

• A Foreach loop is what you're after.

I have something similar, that checks our SFTP "In boxes" once a day to see if we're received any new files. Files in specific folders have specific formats, but those in different folders often have different. It package therefore checks which folder it has found the package in, and then calls a different package, passing the filepath, etc, as parameters. The package to call has it's name as an expression, which is worked out in case statement in a script file.

if you do have differing file formats, this might work well for you. Although the whole load will still "tank" if one is wrong, trouble shooting will be a lot easier if you only handle files of that structure in a specific package, rather than having one package to handle any and every structure.

Cheers.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply