One machine is not able to connect to sql server while others connect fine

• One of our machines is not able to connect to sql server

It gives error "The network path is not found" THis has suddenly started happening today. IT was connecting fine upto yesterday

All other machines are able to connect fine. Please see attached screenshot for complete error Please help us troubleshoot this error

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • sounds like maybe a dns error - these tend to happen occasionally

try running from the dos prompt "IPCONFIG /Flushdns"

if not then try adding a static record in you local hosts file.... neither of these are guaranteed fixes, but I think flushdns will be a good idea

MVDBA

• My go-to steps for those types of errors are to try ping-ing the server you are connecting to from the machine that cannot connect to make sure it can even see the other machine.  A reboot also never hurts.

That being said, it looks like you are connecting to an IP address.  That IP address is a world facing IP address (ie I can ping it from my machine).  Are you certain that the IP address you entered is the one you are wanting to connect to?  Generally, it is better to connect to the machine name and not the IP address unless you do not have the DNS set up properly as a reboot of a machine that does not have a DNS reservation may result in a new IP being assigned to the machine.

If you are certain that the IP address is correct, my next steps would be to make sure that the machine it isn't working on is connecting to the same physical machine as the others and is taking the same network route to do so.  To do this, I'd use nslookup (to get the computer name) and tracert to find the network path it is taking to get to the server.  I would do this on a working machine and a non-working machine and compare the results.  Based on the name of the machine, i am thinking this is some cloud based VM.  Was anything changed on the VM to restrict which IP or machine names are allowed to connect?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• We had that happen to us the other day... exact same symptoms.  It turned out to be a cable where a partial connection in an RJ-45 jack finally backed out far enough.  It took the cable nearly 7 years to fail.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information.

t rex game

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Mr. Brian Gale wrote:

My go-to steps for those types of errors are to try ping-ing the server you are connecting to from the machine that cannot connect to make sure it can even see the other machine.  A reboot also never hurts.

That being said, it looks like you are connecting to an IP address.  That IP address is a world facing IP address (ie I can ping it from my machine).  Are you certain that the IP address you entered is the one you are wanting to connect to?  Generally, it is better to connect to the machine name and not the IP address unless you do not have the DNS set up properly as a reboot of a machine that does not have a DNS reservation may result in a new IP being assigned to the machine.

If you are certain that the IP address is correct, my next steps would be to make sure that the machine it isn't working on is connecting to the same physical machine as the others and is taking the same network route to do so.  To do this, I'd use nslookup (to get the computer name) and tracert to find the network path it is taking to get to the server.  I would do this on a working machine and a non-working machine and compare the results.  Based on the name of the machine, i am thinking this is some cloud based VM.  Was anything changed on the VM to restrict which IP or machine names are allowed to connect?

Is that external IP address Azure or Amazon? (i'm not asking for specifics)

MVDBA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply