OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server " " returned message "No transaction is active."

• Thanks guys, After along long journey in google.

adrianw (4/23/2008)

We opened up a microsoft support query, and I got it resolved. 😀

It seems that there can be numerous causes for this error, but in my case,

even though I had DTCPing working bi-directionally, the DTC security settings

were set to use mutual authentication.

This only works if both servers are on the same domain, and ours are in separate DMZ's,

so I went through the following steps on all machines participating

in the distributed transaction to get it working:

1. open up "Component Services"

Control Panel > Administrative tools > Component Services

2. in Component Servies, right click "My Computer" and select "Properties"

Console Root > Component Services > Computers > My Computer

3. select the "MSDTC" tab, and click "Security Configuration" in the "Transaction Configuration" group box

4. in "Security Settings" > "Transaction Manager Communication"

select "No Authentication Required"

5. restart the DTC service (should do so automatically)

Originally, I had "Mutual Authentication Required" selected.

I dont know if the "Incoming Caller Authentication Required" option would work.

I hope that this helps some of you! 🙂

• I had the same problem. My two servers were in different domains. I had to add hosts entries on each server. For example, I have server1.domain1.local and server2.domain2.local. On Server1, I added IP, server2 to hosts file. On Server2, I added IP, server1 to hosts file. This resolved my issue.

• pkennedy 77296 (5/15/2013)

I had the same problem. My two servers were in different domains. I had to add hosts entries on each server. For example, I have server1.domain1.local and server2.domain2.local. On Server1, I added IP, server2 to hosts file. On Server2, I added IP, server1 to hosts file. This resolved my issue.

I know this is an old post but that sounds a whole lot better than "No Authentication Required". Thanks for taking the time to post it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Actually, the resident "hack" genius, Mr. Erland Sommarskog, may have provided the solution in one of his many great blog entries. We're testing it out to see what, if anything, can go wrong but it appears to be working. I'll be back with the results in a couple of days.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Mohan Kumar, works well. Saved my time.

• Hi All,

I got the below error while attempting to run a distributed transaction. The two servers are in different workgroup. We dont have a domain. Please let me know the solution.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "SERVERDNSNAME" returned message "No transaction is active.".

Msg 7391, Level 16, State 2, Line 3

The operation could not be performed because OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "SERVERDNSNAME" was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

______________________________________________________________Every Problem has a Solution; Every Solution has a Problem: 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply