Odd! Objects Shown Up in Master after DB Restoration

• I created a script to restore multiple databases in one shot. What's weird is, I often see objects from the dbs being restored show up in Master. They can be tables, procs, etc. The DBs themselves seem to be properly restored somehow.

It's very annoying to have to clean up the master afterwards. What is happening here?

• Michelle-138172 (7/18/2016)

I created a script to restore multiple databases in one shot. What's weird is, I often see objects from the dbs being restored show up in Master. They can be tables, procs, etc. The DBs themselves seem to be properly restored somehow.

It's very annoying to have to clean up the master afterwards. What is happening here?

I'd check your script. Just restoring databases should be creating objects in the master database.

• Lynn Pettis (7/18/2016)

Michelle-138172 (7/18/2016)

I created a script to restore multiple databases in one shot. What's weird is, I often see objects from the dbs being restored show up in Master. They can be tables, procs, etc. The DBs themselves seem to be properly restored somehow.

I'd check your script. Just restoring databases should be creating objects in the master database.

Should not be?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Those were auto generated scripts that I ran repeatedly over time. Sometimes I would have trouble, sometimes no. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I only noticed the problem in master by accident.

Here's part of the script for 3 of the DBs - this time some objects from DB2 got into Master:

USE [master]

RESTORE DATABASE [DB1] FROM DISK = N'G:\Backups\OneTimeBackup\Prod1\User\DB1_backup.bak'

WITH FILE = 1, MOVE N'DB1_Data' TO N'E:\Data\DB1_Data.mdf', MOVE N'DB1_Data2' TO N'E:\Data\DB1_Data2.mdf', MOVE N'DB1_Log' TO N'F:\Log\DB1_Log.ldf', NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 5

GO

GO

USE [master]

RESTORE DATABASE [DB2] FROM DISK = N'G:\Backups\OneTimeBackup\Prod1\User\DB2_backup.bak' WITH FILE = 1, MOVE N'DB2' TO N'D:\Data\User\DB2.mdf', MOVE N'DB2_index' TO N'D:\Data\User\DB2_1.ndf', MOVE N'DB2_log' TO N'F:\Log\DB2_2.LDF', NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 5

GO

USE [master]

RESTORE DATABASE [DB3] FROM DISK = N'G:\Backups\OneTimeBackup\Prod1\User\DB3_backup.bak' WITH FILE = 1, NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 5

GO

• Jeff Moden (7/18/2016)

Lynn Pettis (7/18/2016)

Michelle-138172 (7/18/2016)

Should not be?

Really need to read my posts backwards before hitting Post.

• Michelle-138172 (7/19/2016)

Those were auto generated scripts that I ran repeatedly over time. Sometimes I would have trouble, sometimes no. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I only noticed the problem in master by accident.

Here's part of the script for 3 of the DBs - this time some objects from DB2 got into Master:

USE [master]

RESTORE DATABASE [DB1] FROM DISK = N'G:\Backups\OneTimeBackup\Prod1\User\DB1_backup.bak'

WITH FILE = 1, MOVE N'DB1_Data' TO N'E:\Data\DB1_Data.mdf', MOVE N'DB1_Data2' TO N'E:\Data\DB1_Data2.mdf', MOVE N'DB1_Log' TO N'F:\Log\DB1_Log.ldf', NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 5

GO

GO

USE [master]

RESTORE DATABASE [DB2] FROM DISK = N'G:\Backups\OneTimeBackup\Prod1\User\DB2_backup.bak' WITH FILE = 1, MOVE N'DB2' TO N'D:\Data\User\DB2.mdf', MOVE N'DB2_index' TO N'D:\Data\User\DB2_1.ndf', MOVE N'DB2_log' TO N'F:\Log\DB2_2.LDF', NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 5

GO

USE [master]

RESTORE DATABASE [DB3] FROM DISK = N'G:\Backups\OneTimeBackup\Prod1\User\DB3_backup.bak' WITH FILE = 1, NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 5

GO

Are you sure that this issue is a result of the restores? Does not make sense that a restore of a database will result in the creation of objects in master.

• 100% sure. Doesn't make any sense to me, either. That's why I'm very puzzled. Out of a dozen DBs restored this way, only one got into Master this time. Sometimes it can be fragments from several DBs. Totally bizarre!

Lynn Pettis (7/19/2016)

Are you sure that this issue is a result of the restores? Does not make sense that a restore of a database will result in the creation of objects in master.

• Is there by any chance a DDL trigger on that instance?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • No. If there was, it should happen consistently as well, but it didn't.

GilaMonster (7/19/2016)

Is there by any chance a DDL trigger on that instance?

• Michelle-138172 (7/19/2016)

Those were auto generated scripts that I ran repeatedly over time. Sometimes I would have trouble, sometimes no. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I only noticed the problem in master by accident.

USE [master]

GO

GO

USE [master]

GO

USE [master]

GO

Coming back to this, there is nothing there that would add objects to the master database.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply