ODBC Connection failure.

• Hi,

I am not an experienced guy in SQL Server.

Please help me to solve my problem.

I can connect through Static connection to SQL Server without any problem. Eg, Enterprise Manager or Power Builder etc.

But when I connect through Query Analyzer or ODBC I getting the following error.

ODBC: Msg 0, Level 16, State 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

I increased the value for Login time out to 250. Same error.

When I connect using IP Address of the server it connects.

Some users are not able to connect through IP address, they can connect through Server name.

The other users are not able to connect through IP address or Server Name.

• Are you using fully qualified domain name for the address?

For IP address, are you using the name, or are you using the numeric IP address to access the server in all instances?

When users can't access the server using IP address or server name, can you still ping the server from that machine?

Just trying to get the feel for how things are looking out there network wise..

• Thanks for the reply.

We are using numeric ip address normally. As I said, the error shows when I try to connect to Query Analyzer or ODBC. In some PC it work with IP. In some case it works with server name. Other case it is not at all working.

We are using the Server Name. Not domain name. Our database server is not domain.

I can ping the server from all the clients.

• Well, there are many things to check :

Are all your users in the same domain ?

Is your SQL server in the domain ?

Do you use fixed IP adresses or do you use a DHCP server ?

Do you use trusted connection or standard connection ?

Do you use names pipes (some network administrators have banished it !), or may be only TCP/IP ?

At first sight, it seems to me your problems are network problems (DNS, user authentification, netword protocols, and so on).

I think you could check this all with your network administrator.

I hope it has helped ...

Regards.

• Hi,

if you look in EM at Management-Current Activity the 4th column from the right side shows the used network library.

On the client pc use start - run - cliconfg to set the client connection type to the same as on the server (as default, or create an alias).

regards karl

Best regards
    karl

• Are all your users in the same domain ?

Yes.

Is your SQL server in the domain ?

Yes.

Do you use fixed IP adresses or do you use a DHCP server ?

DHCP

Do you use trusted connection or standard connection ?

standard connection.

Do you use names pipes (some network administrators have banished it !), or may be only TCP/IP ?

Both. Some clients can connect through TCP/IP and some others can connect through names pipe.

• Hi All,

i am connecting to SQL Server on the host from ASP page through VB Com Application...and i am geting an error

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

Connection failure

and the file name with line number

can any one help me in solving this problem...

from

Upender

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply