Obtaining Enterprise Manager ONLY

• Hello all.

Though I have been using Enterprise Manager since 1997, using licenses at work, I am now in a position of developing a friend's website using a Hosting ISP that offers SQL Server as the DB. I could, theoretically, use my copy at work, but I am not comfortable with that.

Because I develop at work, I have had no need or desire to buy either an MSDN or SQL Server 2000 developer edition license, but I now need the Enterprise Manager to develop and maintain this database. Does anyone know of any way to obtain a legal copy of the Enterprise Manager without mortgaging my first born?

As an editorial note, if Microsoft does not make Enterprise Manager as a stand along product, this strikes me as a horribly bad corporate decision on their part that says, essentially, "We want you to pay someone else to use our software for your website, but we don't want you to be able to maintain your MS SQL Server database without buying SQL Server yourself." There are

Todd

• I believe (but please check) that if you're connecting to a SQL box, you should be able to load the client tools based on the server license.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• And I believe that requires the SQL to be licensed per cpu otherwise you will have to get a client license.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• quote:

I believe (but please check) that if you're connecting to a SQL box, you should be able to load the client tools based on the server license.

Could you please elaborate? The instance is going to be on an ISP's server, so I doubt I could get direct FTP access to the box to download/load the client tools, but I'm open to suggestion. I will check with the ISP and determine their CAL capacity. Thanks.

Todd

• As far as the copy of EM should not mater what disk it comes from as long as you have license for connecting to the server. This is why you can use one to connect to many servers otherwise you would have to install a license for each. The key is does their lincese allow for this and will they allow a connection. I believe you can even get away with using the EM from the eval edition which itself does not expire, the server does.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• quote:

I believe you can even get away with using the EM from the eval edition which itself does not expire, the server does.

I'll investigate that. Thanks.

Todd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply