NULL issue

• Jeff Moden (8/25/2013)

I like to have options no matter how infrequently I may use them.

Having spoken we with a few SQL Server Developers, I know that SET options is high on their hate list.

And indeed, looking through the list of SET commands, there are not many I can justify:

CONTEXT_INFO, DEADLOCK_PRIORITTY, IDENTITY_INSERT, LANGUAGE, LOCK_TIMEOUT, NOEXEC, NOCOUNT. SHOWPLAN_xxx, STATISTICS, TRANSCATION ISOLATION LEVEL, XACT_ABORT.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• Erland Sommarskog (8/25/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/25/2013)

I like to have options no matter how infrequently I may use them.

Having spoken we with a few SQL Server Developers, I know that SET options is high on their hate list.

And indeed, looking through the list of SET commands, there are not many I can justify:

CONTEXT_INFO, DEADLOCK_PRIORITTY, IDENTITY_INSERT, LANGUAGE, LOCK_TIMEOUT, NOEXEC, NOCOUNT. SHOWPLAN_xxx, STATISTICS, TRANSCATION ISOLATION LEVEL, XACT_ABORT.

At this point, I guess I'll have to say "To each their own". The Developers I've talked with (both SQL Server and Front-Enders) are glad to have the options.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (8/25/2013)

At this point, I guess I'll have to say "To each their own". The Developers I've talked with (both SQL Server and Front-Enders) are glad to have the options.

I would suggest that most developers are unfamiliar with what all these dusty legacy options do and what they can cause. Until they are bitten to the funny situation where a query runs slow in the application, and they run exactly the same procedure call in SSMS - only to find that response is instant.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply