not connecting to sql server from application server

• hi,

iam having problem with port numbers.

client is trying to connecting to sql server having 2 instances from application server using port 1433.

but in sql server i have seen dynamic port number 2438 and no port number,

i tried to connect to dynamic port number also .i could not make a conection to SQL server.

Could you please let me know we can use dynamic port number or we should put port number 1433 .If we use dynamic port number i used dynamic number also i could not make a conection to SQL server.It may be firewall issue???

For another instance in the same server the dynamic portnumber is 1197

• mohinidba (9/9/2009)

hi,

iam having problem with port numbers.

client is trying to connecting to sql server having 2 instances from application server using port 1433.

but in sql server i have seen dynamic port number 2438 and no port number,

i tried to connect to dynamic port number also .i could not make a conection to SQL server.

Could you please let me know we can use dynamic port number or we should put port number 1433 .If we use dynamic port number i used dynamic number also i could not make a conection to SQL server.It may be firewall issue???

For another instance in the same server the dynamic portnumber is 1197

Sounds like the instances are configured with a non-default port number. How are you trying to connect to the instances. remote on to the server that contains sql server, then you can eliminate the firewall as an issue, connect as local.

if you need to specify the port number.

Mysqlserver,portnumber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• First try to do a telnet on port number 2438. if its getting in or not.

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• 1) When installing named instances a random portnumber is applied (Dynamic port).

2) When accessing try with creating an odbc. On large networks telnet is often denied.

3) If you cannot access the database with servername\instancename,portnumber - try opening up cmd and type c:etstat -an. In the right column you'll have SYN_SENT on the tcp packets - ie a firewall is blocking or no reply to request. It could also be a naming service issue if the sqlserver is on another domain - try nslookup servername (if domain environment). Note the fqdn returned and use servername.domain.local\instancename. This would direct the query correctly to the right server.

I suppose you have enabled the instances for remote access?

• runaldo (9/9/2009)

1) When installing named instances a random portnumber is applied (Dynamic port).

2) When accessing try with creating an odbc. On large networks telnet is often denied.

3) If you cannot access the database with servername\instancename,portnumber - try opening up cmd and type c:etstat -an. In the right column you'll have SYN_SENT on the tcp packets - ie a firewall is blocking or no reply to request. It could also be a naming service issue if the sqlserver is on another domain - try nslookup servername (if domain environment). Note the fqdn returned and use servername.domain.local\instancename. This would direct the query correctly to the right server.

I suppose you have enabled the instances for remote access?

and if these dont work, you might have more serious issues to deal with. either way let us know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply