Not an 8 to 5 employee

• How can I get re-started in the world of SQL Server.  Fifteen years ago I was as a SQL Server DBA but then shifted to a career as a Storage Area Network (SAN) engineer.  I will retire soon but would love to get  involved with Databases again. I enjoy creating/managing databases and analyzing data etc.  I don’t want some crazy stressful job but would like to re-enter the field slowly.  Maybe doing freelance or contract work, I would even work for free just to get my skills up to speed.  I have an entrepreneurial spirit and would love to find a way leverage that with databases and data analysis.  Are there opportunities working with Open Data?  Is there better place/site to pose these questions? Any thoughts that may help would  be appreciated. Please let me know if I should post this elsewhere.

• Did you also post this question on Quora? It sounds like one I answered over there. My answer here would be largely the same.

As to a way to dip your toe in, that's going to be tough. Database development or database management tends to be an all or nothing proposition a lot of the time. Maybe looking away from the database and towards the data. Analytics and analysis. Although, those frequently require quite a lot of business knowledge to get them right. However, throwing up a few PowerBI screens for a business would be an effective part-time solution. On the other hand, I don't know how to tell you about tracking down the jobs for that.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Sharpen up your resume, find a trustworthy "jobber" type of recruiter (they'll want to interview you to ensure you're worth your salt in SQL and/or DataAnalysis), and then let them go to work for you.  A "good" one will be one that tries to match your skills with the customer needs.  If you play your cards right, you might be able to even get benefits along with a large amount of money without becoming an FTE.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply