No More Katmai

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item No More Katmai

• Party time? :hehe: Though my company may not go for SQL Server 2008 right now, but it is a good news. I am already learning something about it from this forum. Cheers!!!!! :w00t:

• After reading about MS Deploy the other day, for deploying IIS and its content to production servers, I thought its about time the same existed for SQL Server, and now I see that it does. This is great news, and worth me pushing to upgrade from SQL 2000.

• It is "The NEWS" OF the Year 2008 at the Moment.

Congratulations to SQL-SERVER Team.

Can any body Please explain about ,

1)Resource Governor

2) Policy Based Management

Prasad

• welcome SQL Server 2008, to our lives!! 🙂

• In the first two SQL 2005 installs I have had here I have found it very buggy. 8 Cumlative patches on top of SP2 have kind of validated my point. I have been somewhat disappointed that Microsoft has somewhat looked past SQL 2005 as we have 8 cumlative patches on top of SP2 and have almost 18 months and counting since SP2 was released. All of the focus is on SQL 2008 mostly. We have only three SQL 2005s here that are new installs. I have not pushed to upgrade our existing installs from 2000 to 2005 since 2008 is very close to being released. I have one older SQL 2000 system that I am budgeting to move to Win2008/SQL2008 as soon as SP1 is released next year.

Has anyone else been holding off moving from 2000 to 2005 since 2008 is on the horizon ?

• I've just upgraded to SQL 2005 and I waited until SP2 was out becsue of the bugs with the RTM version. Based on past experience I won't put software into production until at least after the first SP; just too many problems. I can't see going to SQL 2008 for at least a year. Let someone else be the test bed.

However, I will you SQLServerCentral and other resources to learn about 2008.

• Its been a relatively fast release for SQL 2008. I sometimes feel that such fast releases result in a lot of cost to companies and people working on SQL. All the learning and upgradation stuff..... Just hope this thing has got fewer bugs than sql 2005. I prefer waiting for sometime so that the product gets (un)stable before diving head-first.

"Keep Trying"

• I must confess I haven't spent much time yet researching SQL Server 2008 mainly because I've been up to my ears in .NET 3.5. But I will be very interested to see if there is better support for T-SQL type searches of the nodes in XML fields. In SQL 2005 the XML field has only been really useful to me for searching simple xml or not searching it at all and just using it to hold lots of state information. I'd love to be able to use it for holding dynamically shaped data as well.

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• I'm curious - how soon will SQLServerCentral.com move to 2008?

• I installed our first 2005 server last month. It supports one application, but it's one that needs to be on its own server or instance. I don't like having single apps per server or instance, but it does have advantages. I've got 10 or so 2000 servers still out there. My boss didn't budget upgrade money (though you never know what monies can be found later in the cycle) because we're working on virtualization projects. I think there's a good chance that we could be looking at upgrades as the virtualization project progresses and stabilizes. If it goes into 2Q next year, I'll push for 2008, if we need to start virtualizing before then, probably buy 2008 licenses but install 2005 then upgrade when SP1 releases.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Running 3rd party apps, we can't move to SQL Server 2008 for them until the vendors say they will support SQL Server 2008.

I will, however, look at moving our DW development servers to SQL Server 2008 as soon as possible. We still don't have a production DW yet, due to other projects pushing it back, but this is the best place for us to start learning the newest version. Even if we don't make this move there, I intend to purchase the developer edition as soon as I can from Microsoft so I can start working with it on my own.

😎

• Jim,

How important is it for you to see us move? I'm wondering because I bet we could move today, but we don't really take advantage of much of SQL Server. The database stores minimal data, and really SQL Server 2000 worked fine for us and probably still would.

I just got some new developers at Red Gate Software, and they're fixing some bugs, so for the short term, next couple months, I want them doing that. Once we get through that cycle, I'll see if we can add a SS2K8 instance to the test environment and run some regressions.

• And sadly, those of us with Visual Studio 2008 and no SP1 cannot install SQL 2008 without a lot of pain. Either uninstall Visual Studio 2008 or wait for SP1 for VS2008 due to release on 8/11. 🙁

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/denis_gobo/archive/2008/08/07/8261.aspx

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/7/2008)

Jim,

How important is it for you to see us move? I'm wondering because I bet we could move today, but we don't really take advantage of much of SQL Server. The database stores minimal data, and really SQL Server 2000 worked fine for us and probably still would.

I just got some new developers at Red Gate Software, and they're fixing some bugs, so for the short term, next couple months, I want them doing that. Once we get through that cycle, I'll see if we can add a SS2K8 instance to the test environment and run some regressions.

My question was more curiosity than anything else. I'm just trying to get a handle on what other folks are doing so I can make the best recommendation for us here. You have been recommending people move directly to 2008 rather than 2005 if they are still on 2000, which is where we are at now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply