No More Katmai

• My recommendation is based on working with 2005 and 2008, and finding that they are very similar in core features. Very little was changed. Things were added, but not much was changed. Since 2005 is 3 years old, IF you move, I'd recommend 2008. Testing done on 2005 should be pretty similar to the results you'll see on 2008.

The reason there are so many cumulative updates for 2005 is that the support team has released a new one every other month. Some have a couple fixes, some have more, but if you look back at other versions, and other software, there are always constant little hot fixes being released. Often the fixes affect a small percentage of the installations. That's a pain if you're affected, but for most of us that's not the case.

I see and hear from many people running 2005 and the majority of them have found it very stable. There was a maintenance plan problem with SP2, which was a big one, but most of the other fixes are not something I'd expect lots of people to be affected by. Again, if you were affected, you might have bad taste in your mouth, but the product is very stable, IMHO.

I don't recommend necessarily waiting for SP1, unless you are looking to implement things new to 2008, like the Resource Governor. If you want to know more about those features, Google them or look them up in Books Online at MSDN. Those features haven't been deployed widely, so it's hard to say what issues might appear.

• Peter Schott (8/7/2008)

And sadly, those of us with Visual Studio 2008 and no SP1 cannot install SQL 2008 without a lot of pain. Either uninstall Visual Studio 2008 or wait for SP1 for VS2008 due to release on 8/11. 🙁

From what I've heard, if you just install the DB engine and the basic management tools, you should be OK. Don't install the parts that need VS (analysis services, integration services, BI studio)

I'll test that advice out tomorrow, once I have a copy.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • We just did our last upgrade from 2000 to 2005 this week (seriously). Maybe we can skip 2008 and wait for 2011? It was an 18-24 month process getting all the servers upgraded and applications tested (while still doing our regular work). It's hard to get motivated about starting again, but that's our life, right?

It's like painting the Golden Gate bridge...as soon as we're done, it's time to start again!

• Kristin Echols (8/7/2008)

We just did our last upgrade from 2000 to 2005 this week (seriously). Maybe we can skip 2008 and wait for 2011?

Look over the new features in 2008 and see if there are any that you need. If not, wait for the next version. I know a few companies locally that are suggesting upgrading every second version.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (8/7/2008)

Peter Schott (8/7/2008)

And sadly, those of us with Visual Studio 2008 and no SP1 cannot install SQL 2008 without a lot of pain. Either uninstall Visual Studio 2008 or wait for SP1 for VS2008 due to release on 8/11. 🙁

From what I've heard, if you just install the DB engine and the basic management tools, you should be OK. Don't install the parts that need VS (analysis services, integration services, BI studio)

I have a copy, but I actually use those tools so this means I'm waiting for a little bit before I can install. 🙁

• GilaMonster (8/7/2008)

Peter Schott (8/7/2008)

Was that word of mouth or is there a URL that advises such?

Thanks.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Miles Neale (8/7/2008)

GilaMonster (8/7/2008)

Peter Schott (8/7/2008)

Thanks.

Check out the link in my post. There are links on that page to the MS Connect site and KB that indicate that you should be able to install if you choose not to use anything that depends on the VS IDE. However, the person @ SQL Blog seemed to indicate he still had issues.

• Miles Neale (8/7/2008)

Bit of both.

Other thing that was discovered is that you can't just go back through the installer, deselect the options that need VS then carry on. You have to cancel the installation and restart from scratch. Silly, I know.

Gail Shaw

• Is there any advantage to migrate from SQL Server 2005 to 2008 if there are not much difference?

• heres to less bugs than 2005-- but will still wait for sp1 at least :w00t:

• Loner (8/8/2008)

Is there any advantage to migrate from SQL Server 2005 to 2008 if there are not much difference?

Depends whether or not you need or want any of the new features introduced. There aren't many differences in the engine itself. There are a number of additional features that you may or may not want or need.

Gail Shaw

• Miles Neale (8/7/2008)

GilaMonster (8/7/2008)

Peter Schott (8/7/2008)

Thanks.

The release notes have been updated

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/9/e/49eeb41a-a769-4520-80d6-671b8ae2bd06/SQLServer2008ReleaseNotes.htm

Gail Shaw

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply