Next Person Up

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Next Person Up

• You had me at sociopathic executives. I know there are other kinds, and they can be amazing, but...yeah.

• That sociopathic descriptive got me. I've met a few, and could not get out of there fast enough in those situations.

• Most of the organizations I've worked for were IT centric - where folks tend to be rational, competent, and focused on their job. The better employers will weed out individuals who muck with others in a way that negatively effects performance and outcomes. I like the people I work with now.

But should you find yourself in a position where you are working with a full-on sociopaths, it's important to put things into perspective and remember that they are all about self-promotion and self-preservation. Yes, they are social hackers - but they can also be hacked. Do what it takes to deal with them - but also start looking for a better job. That's the advice I'd give my kids, if they were in that unfortunate situation.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Extremely good advise, Steve. I'll add just one thing and that's if you find you need to look for another job, it might mean relocating, if the opportunities aren't available in your area.

Rod

• latkinson wrote:

That sociopathic descriptive got me. I've met a few, and could not get out of there fast enough in those situations.

I'm in a funny position right now, I have great respect and liking for my immediate team. However a layer or so up (in other offices)  there is a strong culture of backslapping BS. They do not understand our work at all. I'm certainly alarmed by some behaviours - but it's not easy to find a team you like so much. I'm trying hard to block out the foolishness from above...

• Doctor Who 2 wrote:

Extremely good advise, Steve. I'll add just one thing and that's if you find you need to look for another job, it might mean relocating, if the opportunities aren't available in your area.

Hopefully, the increasing prevalence of telecommuting in IT will open more opportunity for folks living in more remote areas.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply