New T-SQL Features in SQL Server 2005 Part 1

• Thanks for the comments.I think this would definitely help me to better my articles in future.

In the next article I have concentrated more on providing the examples rather than describing the features in theory.Hope you guys would like it

Yeah One thing I admit of not having done is that I havent added all the references.This Iam definitely going to do in my future articles.

Kindest Regards,

Sureshkumar Ramakrishnan

• No need to download it Just go to BOL on the msdn2 website: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms130214.aspx

• Perfect, Mike... Thanks for the tip. 

And I see what everyone is talking about, especially you and Confucius247...   If you really want to get deeper, read the "Terms of Use" at the bottom of each page on the WebSite you just provided the link for... especially the part about "NOTICE SPECIFIC TO DOCUMENTS AVAILABLE ON THIS WEB SITE."  Authors might want to be a little bit more careful than they have...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I thought this was a great article, it sums up the key T-SQL additions. Just what we DBAs/developers need to know.  So what if parts are copied from BOL. Not all of us are need deep into 2005 yet to have 2005 BOL loaded and reference everyday. (Personally I do not like the new BOL, I guess I'm too used to 200 BOL).

Thanks

Dave

• I don't think the author intended it this way, but to answer your question of "So what if parts are copied from BOL"? Because...

1.  Plagerism is in pretty bad form.  Most learned readers would rather eat pond scum than read plagerized material.  By itself, copying material isn't plagerism... not giving very specific credit to the creators of the original infomation is.

2.  Because of the copy right Microsoft has on the info, the fact that the terms of use say "personal" and "non-commercial use" and may not be republished (in so many words), and the author got paid $50 for the web article which makes it both commercial and published, it's also against the federal copy right laws.

Some folks are worried about item 1 above... me too... I hate plagerism when it happens and represents one of the lowest forms of life there is.  Of more concern to me, though, is to warn my fellow authors that you can get the pant's sued off of you by Microsoft and other companies and, depending on the offense, may spend a little time in jail by doing this type of thing.  Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the courts.  Foreign nationals can also be expelled from the country within minutes of the conviction or jail time served.

Be careful what you copy, folks, even if you do give due credit...

Will Microsoft or other company come after you for this type of "minor" offense?  Dunno for sure but are you sure you want to test those waters?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff,I think there is too much made about the plagarism stuff.Everyone understands it.The theoritical part of the defintion of CTE for instance is used referrring to MSDN and I have added a link of the reference in the article itself.

For you all to have a background the article was of 12 pages and it was broken down in two parts by the administrators of the site so that its more readible.The second part has most of the features with examples .

I have agreed in my previous comments that I should have added the reference more explicitly even if the article was splitted into two parts.

This is not the first article that I have written,Please have a look at the other articles before commenting.

Lets not forget that we are using Microsofts product and its source is more authentic than anything else.

Please provide some constructive information/comments that can be used by all the authors and the technology driven audience.

Kindest Regards,

Sureshkumar Ramakrishnan

• The other articles are not the immediate concern.  Plagerism and breaking of copy right laws should be your immediate concern... I think you make too little of the good advice you've been given.  Whatever...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply