New SQL 2012 Instance - CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied)

• Hello All,

I've installed SQL 2012 Enterprise on a new Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machine. I'm getting the CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied) msg 5123 when I try to create a database on any drive other than the default sql installation drive I specified during the install which is the E:\.

I want my data files to go on the F:\ and logs to the G:\. I set the SQL services to run under a domain account, NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER and LOCAL SYSTEM. All with explicit permissions to the F:\ and G:\ but it will not create any database files other than the E:\. All are VMWARE virtual disks.

A few things I've tried so far....

1. Run SSMS as an Administrator.

2. Added the domain account as a local admin.

3. Right click the F:\MSSQL and G:\MSSQL folders and verified all the accounts I tested have full control.

4. Disabled User Access Control settings.

Anyone have any knowledge if VMware disks or other OS settings could be blocking? I can create folders/files on these disks fine but SQL Server will not write to them even though I see the service account listed with full control.

• Try explicitly granting the service account Full Control to the folder on the new drive, rather than the root of the drive. I believe, even if a login has full control to the root, the OS still (tries to) pop up a UAC prompt.

• Issue still going on. Disabled inheritable permissions from the F:\MSSQL folder and verified the explicit permissions with full control. Still OS Access is denied error.

• So are you services running on a domain.com\account or the builtins?

Have you tried changing them to an AD account? like domain.com\sqlservices?

• I've tried using AD domain account, the default virtual account NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER and Local System. None of them will write anywhere but to the installation drive.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply