New Old Architectures

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item New Old Architectures

• Clipper was the first programming language I used in anger in a real job, I really enjoyed working with it. At the same company I also designed and implemented an upgrade from IBM PCLP network and DOS desktops to Win 3.1 with a Novell network. Sounds like our paths were fairly similar at the start Steve!

While I do mostly SQL Server now, that foundation of doing everything IT related from ops to development (including underfloor cabling and soldering connectors to wires!) in a small team was a great foundation for what I do today. I would recommend anyone to do as many different things early in their career if they can, a great way to get an idea of what other departments do and you mnight just find something you really enjoy that you hadn't thought of before.

• WOW, Steve, thank you for sharing that article on microservices and event driven design! I took a quick look at the article and saw that it's long. I'm about to start my workday, so I intend to get back to that article later today. Microservices look to me like they're something I'd like to get into. Kinda reminding me of when I write a lot of Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) services.

Rod

• Chris M wrote:

Clipper was the first programming language I used in anger in a real job, I really enjoyed working with it. At the same company I also designed and implemented an upgrade from IBM PCLP network and DOS desktops to Win 3.1 with a Novell network. Sounds like our paths were fairly similar at the start Steve!

While I do mostly SQL Server now, that foundation of doing everything IT related from ops to development (including underfloor cabling and soldering connectors to wires!) in a small team was a great foundation for what I do today. I would recommend anyone to do as many different things early in their career if they can, a great way to get an idea of what other departments do and you mnight just find something you really enjoy that you hadn't thought of before.

Probably similar paths. I worked at a power plant, at the end of ArcNet, moving to thicknet and thinnet before we got to Ethernet. Built and worked with lots of cables back then. We were Novell 3.1 to 3.11 to early 4 as I left, and IPX->IP. We had a lot of Clipper things we replaced old dBase and Lotus macros with. It was a neat time. I agree with you. It was a great foundation.

• Doctor Who 2 wrote:

WOW, Steve, thank you for sharing that article on microservices and event driven design! I took a quick look at the article and saw that it's long. I'm about to start my workday, so I intend to get back to that article later today. Microservices look to me like they're something I'd like to get into. Kinda reminding me of when I write a lot of Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) services.

I think microservices are neat, and they can be very helpful, but they aren't magic. Worth learning about to decide and debate with developers if they are suited for what you do. I think they can easily be used to cause problems and lose some of the power of a relational db if you try to send everything through them.

We have a Dapr webinar next week and I think we'll get to talk/debate some of this there.

https://www.red-gate.com/hub/events/donovan-brown-and-mark-fussell-talk-cloud-native-development-with-dapr

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Doctor Who 2 wrote:

WOW, Steve, thank you for sharing that article on microservices and event driven design! I took a quick look at the article and saw that it's long. I'm about to start my workday, so I intend to get back to that article later today. Microservices look to me like they're something I'd like to get into. Kinda reminding me of when I write a lot of Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) services.

I think microservices are neat, and they can be very helpful, but they aren't magic. Worth learning about to decide and debate with developers if they are suited for what you do. I think they can easily be used to cause problems and lose some of the power of a relational db if you try to send everything through them.

We have a Dapr webinar next week and I think we'll get to talk/debate some of this there.

https://www.red-gate.com/hub/events/donovan-brown-and-mark-fussell-talk-cloud-native-development-with-dapr

Thank you for the head's up on your upcoming Dapr webinar. I'll try to attend (schedule permitting). I know very little about Dapr, so eager to learn.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply