New AG environment

• Looking a new 2016 build, all enterprise Edition licensed at VM host. Was going to have AG with readable secondary for reporting and 3rd node for DR. Looking at following setup, anyone see any holes? Thanks

down vote
    I would set up your configuration as follows...

Node and File Share Majority quorum model

Node 1, Node 2 and file share witness at primary dc

Node 3 at DR dc

1 vote to each node in the primary data center & fileshare witness

0 vote to node in the DR data center

preferred owners node 1 & node 2

AG synchronous mode between node 1 & 2 automatic failover

AG asynchronous mode to node 3 manual failover

primary AG on node 1 with readable secondary replicas at node 2. Since you plan to use readable secondary replica, you will have to license node 2 as well as node 1. Node 3 will be covered by software assurance. I assume this is a production environment.

• I would add make sure you test this fully before going live, because long-running reports run against a readable secondary can block the redo thread of database in a "synchronous" AG, causing it to stop being synchronous.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlserverstorageengine/2011/12/22/alwayson-impact-on-the-primary-workload-when-you-run-reporting-workload-on-the-secondary-replica/

This could also cause your transaction log on the read/write replica to grow because it can't be truncated due to this issue.

• other choice was an active passive cluster with AG for the read only node.   interested in how many people have tried that approach

• tcronin 95651 - Wednesday, August 15, 2018 7:21 AM

other choice was an active passive cluster with AG for the read only node.   interested in how many people have tried that approach

I have this setup - but all nodes in the same data center.  It works quite well as long as the readable secondary has no quorum votes and is not synchronous.  No need for a listener in this configuration either - as all report users will access the secondary directly.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Beatrix Kiddo - Wednesday, August 15, 2018 5:50 AM

I would add make sure you test this fully before going live, because long-running reports run against a readable secondary can block the redo thread of database in a "synchronous" AG, causing it to stop being synchronous.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlserverstorageengine/2011/12/22/alwayson-impact-on-the-primary-workload-when-you-run-reporting-workload-on-the-secondary-replica/

This could also cause your transaction log on the read/write replica to grow because it can't be truncated due to this issue.

+1 I've ran into this myself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply