Never let a good crisis go to waste

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Never let a good crisis go to waste

• We call it sneaking quality into the deliverables

• Steve, I've never been through into the deep end of the pool, the first day on a new job. I hope that I perform well.

I know what it's like to work in an environment that does all it can to not move forward with new software techniques, patterns and practices, etc. I'm working in such an environment now. Holding onto the past is so engrained into the system that I don't know if they know why they do it. Simple example, recently I was asked how we practice software reviews. I answered that we don't practice software reviews. (In fairness to the place I'm currently working at, I'll say that I've never worked anywhere that practiced software reviews.) Some of the reason we don't practice software reviews is because we use TFVC, rather than Git. So, you can't say "I'm going to open a pull request". However, some months ago I discovered that even TFVC has the concept of a pull request, even though it doesn't call it that. (Can't remember the name.) Nevertheless, we still don't take advantage of it. I'm afraid to even mention the idea, for fear of the rejection I'm likely to experience.

Rod

• Always good to have a time and place to suggest something. A crisis is usually that, when you have a potential solution handy.

• "Don't fix if it ain't broken" - this is used far too often.

the bridge has to collapse for them to decide its time to replace those rusted bolts.

• I hear ya, @sergiy, I hear ya.

Rod

• Sergiy wrote:

"Don't fix if it ain't broken" - this is used far too often.

the bridge has to collapse for them to decide its time to replace those rusted bolts.

BWAAAAA-HAAAAA-HAAAAA!!!! It DOES save on demolition costs! 😀 😀 😀

I'm right there with you.  Let's add a couple of others...

"We've never done it that way".

'We've always done it that way".

And my favorites...

"You have to pick your battles".

"We have bigger fish to fry".

Rule #1 for "Peter's Laws", which is "The Creed of the Sociopathic Obsessive Compulsive" is...

"1. If anything can go wrong, FIX IT (and to hell with Murphy!)"

Part of the reason the last two are my favorites is because if they spent more time building stuff right the first time, there would be no need to "fix it" and, so, no need to "pick your battles" or open a seafood restaurant.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thing is - manages are appreciated for being effective on resolving critical situations. Preventing a crisis - not so much.

if nothing happens - your KPI stays low. Nothing to show for performance evaluation. Apart from slowing new developments. Perfect candidate for redundancy.

But if you deliver sh.t, ignore all the red flags, and then fight crisis after crisis - that’s when you prove yourself useful and effective. You probably even deserve to have more people under you command, so you can cause and fight crisis’s more often.

The system is broken. SolarWind - bring us more of this.

• Yep, totally agree, @sergiy.

Rod

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply