NetBackup MS SQL Client

• Hi ,

Can anyone please let me know the answers to below questions

1. Is online backup is going to consume lot of space?

2. Which one will be better (online/offline)

3. How different netbackup for sql compared with MS sqlserver backup wizard

Thanks

• Briefly ...

1 --> This depends how large your databases are and how much data you keep online - unless you go to tape directly.

2 --> SQL server is designed to be backed up with the server and databases online. This way the server and databases are available - unlike an Oracle 'cold' backup.

3 --> NetBackup can be used 2 ways. First just to copy backup disk files to another storage medium - usually tape. So you still need SQL server and a script or maintenance plan to create the disk backup files. The second option is to use their 'agent' process which would perform the same things all under one roof.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• One more thing to consider: I've been pressed into using the NetBackup SQL Agent at several sites, backing up the database either directly to tape or a backup server via the agent, and always found it to be unreliable. The built in SQL Server backup functionality, backing up to a local disk file which is then copied off the disk by the network guys, has always been absolutely reliable for me.

If you're considering using the SQL Agent, do plenty of testing before you implement on a production server.

Cheers

Shane

• hi guys, I am getting confused as to the integration between NetBackup SQL Agent and SQL backups ie full, diff and tran.

My admin person is not very sure as to how netbackup SQL Agent works and I do not have the rights to the NetBackup - any advise as to how I can check?

On the SQL server side full backups are definitely happening.

Cheers

• full backup is a full db backup

diff is all changes since last full and cumulative so you only need to restore the last full + diff

log is a log backup

been using netbackup for SQL for years and it's way better than native SQL backup. even uses the same API's

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply