Need your help!!!

• HI Friends,

I need some help from you all regarding the formation of a sql query.

We have 3 tables in here. First one storing all possible time slots for people working in for a organization tblTimeSlot , we have divided time into time slots, so for each 30mins interval we add in a timeslot.

tblTimeSlots            Example

------------            -------------

timeSlotID(int)           (2)

timeSlotTime(varchar)   (10.00am)           

tblWorkerHours

the second one is tblUserHours containing the details of the start time and end time , date etc for user working in for a day.

tblWorkerHours

------------

userHrID(int)

userID(int)

userStartSlot(int)

userEndSlot(int)

userDate(datetime)

tblBooking

-----------

Now the user can be booked for time intervals in multiples of  30 mins (Ex: 60mins so user is booked for 2 slots). i.e we have 30mins=1slot. So this table stores the time slots when the user is booked in for a day.

tblBooking

---------

bookingID(int)

userID(int)

startSlot(int)

endSlot(int)

date(int)

Suppose i want to fetch all possible timeslots when a given user is available for a day.Ex: John will be working on 10th Feb from 9am-9pm(slot 0-24), and is booked between 10am-11pm(slot 3-4) and 1pm-2pm(slot 8-9).

Now if i want to fetch all possible time slots when the user is available on 10th Feb, what will the query be like.

I have tried various combinations but no success yet.

Please remember i need to achieve the following task using in a single sql query.

PLease help on this.

Regards

• Just thinking quickly, I might have missed something.

If I've read your columns correctly (I'm assuming that the date in tblBooking is actually a datetime not an int) this should return you worker hours and time slot data for every worker for today. To make it more specific replace the W.userID Like '%' with W.userID = (id) or W.userID Like '(id)'. I've used getDate() because if I know that it will return a date that SQL likes whereas sometimes there can be some confusion between the months and days if you write '10/02/2004' or '02/10/2004' or '2004-02-10', etc

Hope it helps

Select

tblWorkerHours.*,

tblTimeSlots.* 

From

--Get all the workers' time slots for today

tblWorkerHours W Join tblTimeSlot T On T.timeSlotID Between W.userStartSlot And W.userEndSlot 

And W.userDate = getDate()

And W.userID Like '%'

Where

--exclude booked time slots

T.timeSlotID Not In (

Select

--Get all booked time slots for the worker

T2.timeSlotID

From

tblTimeSlots T2 Join tblBooking B On T2.timeSlotID Between B.startSlot And B.endSlot

And B.userID = W.userID   

--Date restriction

And B.[date] = W.userDate

)

• HI lenmcmanotony,

Thanks for your kind reply.

This will work fine, but there lies another problem here that what if i m looking to get available time slots when the user is available between 10am- 2pm. Here we need to get the first time slot when the user is available.

Regards

Karan

• I think I understand here, however are you attached to your structure and I believe I can offer a simpler, cleaner solution?

• Simply add

AND T.timeSlotID >= (select timeSlotID from tblTimeSlots where timeSlotTime = '10.00am') 
    AND T.timeSlotID < (select timeSlotID from tblTimeSlots where timeSlotTime = '2.00pm') 

to the query that lenmcmanotony provided to you.  It works assuming that you have numbered your TimeSlots consecutively. 

• I agree with Antares686.  If you are not attached to the structure, you might want to re-work it some.  It could be more efficient and easier to code the SQL.

Joe Johnson
    NETDIO,LLC.

• HI Friends,

The code given by lenmcmanotony worked for me. Thanx lenmcmanotony . . Further i want to make a slight modification, i am trying to now fetch only the 1st available time slots instead of all slots when the user is available.

Lets c how it shapes up

Regards

Karan

• This should cover it. I've included Richard Lesh's conditions and made two select statements. The first one gets you a the first time slot for a specific worker based on a variable (or you could hardcode it if you really wanted). The second one should get you the first free time slot id for every worker. Sorry if I've left it a bit too late with my reply.

Select Top 1

W.*,

T.* 

From

--Get all the workers' time slots for today

tblWorkerHours W Join tblTimeSlot T On T.timeSlotID Between W.userStartSlot And W.userEndSlot 

And W.userDate = getDate()

And W.userID Like '%'

AND T.timeSlotID >= (select timeSlotID from tblTimeSlots where timeSlotTime  =  '10.00am') 

AND T.timeSlotID < (select timeSlotID from tblTimeSlots where timeSlotTime = '2.00pm')

Where

--exclude booked time slots

T.timeSlotID Not In (

Select

--Get all booked time slots for the worker

T2.timeSlotID

From

tblTimeSlots T2 Join tblBooking B On T2.timeSlotID Between B.startSlot And B.endSlot

And B.userID = W.userID   

--Date restriction

And B.[date] = W.userDate

)

And W.userID = <insert variable>

Order By T.timeSlotID Ascending --So that minimum is at top of result set

Select

Min(T.timeSlotID)  From   --Get all the workers' time slots for today   tblWorkerHours W Join tblTimeSlot T On T.timeSlotID Between W.userStartSlot And W.userEndSlot                                           And W.userDate = getDate()                                         And W.userID Like '%'                          AND T.timeSlotID >= (select timeSlotID from tblTimeSlots where timeSlotTime  =  '10.00am')                           AND T.timeSlotID < (select timeSlotID from tblTimeSlots where timeSlotTime = '2.00pm') Where   --exclude booked time slots   T.timeSlotID Not In (                    Select                      --Get all booked time slots for the worker                      T2.timeSlotID                    From                      tblTimeSlots T2 Join tblBooking B On T2.timeSlotID Between B.startSlot And B.endSlot                                                           And B.userID = W.userID                                                              --Date restriction                                                           And B.[date] = W.userDate                        )

Group By W.userID  --Grouping by worker so that the select min(timeslot) gives you each individual worker's min time slot

Order By T.timeSlotID Ascending --So that minimum is at top of result set

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply