Need to delete first character of a string

• Hello,

In a table, I have a varchar(100) field called 'StreetName' in a table called 'tblStreetData' in which the actual street name record can ocassionally be prefixed with 'N', 'S', 'E', 'W' in order to designate a point of direction. The prefixes are always followed by a space and then the street name.

I need to delete these prefixes and remove the space from such records. I just started working on this, and I think I need to use LTRIM with an UPDATE statement in some way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

CSDunn

• This example uses 788, 567, and 577 instead of N,S,E,W. Replace 4 & -4 with 2 & -2, and 5 with 3.

USE pubs

SELECT stor_address,

CASE WHEN SUBSTRING(stor_address,0,4) IN('788','567','577') THEN SUBSTRING(stor_address,5,LEN(stor_address)-4) ELSE stor_address END

AS CutAddress

FROM stores

Everett

Everett Wilson
    ewilson10@yahoo.com

• update tblStreetData

set streetName =

case when substring(a.streetName,1,2) = 'N ' then substring(a.streetName,3,len(a.streetName)-2)

when substring(a.streetName,1,2) = 'S ' then substring(a.streetName,3,len(a.streetName)-2)

when substring(a.streetName,1,2) = 'E ' then substring(a.streetName,3,len(a.streetName)-2)

when substring(a.streetName,1,2) = 'W ' then substring(a.streetName,3,len(a.streetName)-2)

else streetName

end

from tblStreetData a

BUT... if the table is huge:

I would avoid doing an update. I would try to do an insert into a new table. drop the old table and then rename the new table. Something like that.

insert into newTable ()

select

case when substring(a.streetName,1,2) = 'N ' then substring(a.streetName,3,len(a.streetName)-2)

when substring(a.streetName,1,2) = 'S ' then substring(a.streetName,3,len(a.streetName)-2)

when substring(a.streetName,1,2) = 'E ' then substring(a.streetName,3,len(a.streetName)-2)

when substring(a.streetName,1,2) = 'W ' then substring(a.streetName,3,len(a.streetName)-2)

else streetName

end as streetName,

[other fields here]

from tblStreetData a

drop table tblStreetData

???

master.dbo.sp_rename [dbName].dbo.newTable [dbName].dbo.tblStreetData

oops... I was beat to it.

Edited by - jraha on 06/12/2003 3:21:20 PM

• Thanks for your help!

CSDunn

• Noting that you say they only occasionally contain the prefixes, another option that will only issue updates against rows that fit the criteria is:

update tblStreetData
    set StreetName = SUBSTRING(StreetName, 3, LEN(StreetName)-2)
    where StreetName LIKE '[NEWS] %'

Cheers,
    - Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply