Need help with script - powershell and sql agent job

• Hi All,

I am writing this script to check if the sql agent job is running or not and if it is not running disable it.

Some how I am not able to disable it and it is not evaluating the if loop. I am missing some stuff here 😀

also, how can I make the script to take a user input and enable or disable the job.

$srv = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SMO.Server("server\instance")

$jobs = $srv.jobserver.jobs

#$jobs | where-object {$_.Isenabled -eq $true -and $_.name -like "*backup*"}

if ($_.IsEnabled -eq $True -and $_.name -match "*backup*")

{

$JobsExecuting = 0

foreach ($job in $jobs)

{#if the job is running

if ($job.CurrentRunStatus.ToString() -ne "Idle")

{

write-host "you hit inner loop"

$jobExecuting = 1

write-host "The backup job is running ..."

break

}

}

if($JobsExecuting -eq 0)

{

#if the job is not executing

write-host "no jobs are running on $($srv)"

#disable the job

$jobs.IsEnabled = $TRUE

$jobs.Alter()

}

}

else

{

write-host "$($srv.name) has running jobs, try again later" -foregroundcolor Red

}

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HTH !
    Kin
    MCTS : 2005, 2008
    Active SQL Server Community Contributor 🙂

• You just missed a couple of small things but they do make a difference.

First -like and -match work differently

Second, in your line $jobs.IsEnabled = $TRUE

$jobs is a collection of the jobs and doesn’t have a IsEnabled property.

Also $TRUE enables the job, use $false to disable it.

Here’s an example. You can call it with the –disable argument to disable the jobs or leave that off to just show the current status.

param ( [switch]$disable )

$srv = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SMO.Server("server\instance")

$jobs = $srv.jobserver.jobs | where-object {$_.Isenabled -eq $true -and $_.name -like "*backup*"}

foreach ($job in $jobs){

#if the job is running

if ($job.CurrentRunStatus.ToString() -ne "Idle") {

write-host "you hit inner loop"

write-host "The backup job is running ..."

write-host "$($srv.name) $($job.name) is running, try again later" -foregroundcolor Red

}

else {

#if the job is not executing

write-host "$($job.name) is not running on $($srv.Name)"

if ($disable) {

#disable the job

$job.IsEnabled = $FALSE

$job.Alter()

}

}

}

• Thanks .. that helped.

how can I make the script to take a user input and enable or disable the job ?

Do I have to use -- read-host for any user input ?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HTH !
    Kin

• No need to read-host. I added that "param ( [switch]$disable )" line so you can add -disable (or not) to the command line when calling your script.

For example, if you name the script disableJob.ps1 then calling the job like this

PS:> .\disableJob -disable

it will disable jobs matching your criteria (not running and with names like *backup*).

If you just execute the job without that -disable switch then it won't actually disable anything. It will just display your write-host lines.

• Thanks .. got it !

I was struggling with http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1282812-1351-1.aspx and did not find any solution.

Is it possible for you to point me in right direction.

HTH !
    Kin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply