Need advice -- Backups

• New to SQL --- looking for advice on backups, the what, the how and the why 🙂

We have a maint plan that creates full backups (found in the backup folder). I can look at the files, and back them up without much issues. They are 3x-4x times the size of files in another directory, which appears to be the actual database files - which I can't back them up.

I also have access to Symantec Backup Exec which should be able to backup those database, under SQL Server -- I can select the databases and find multiply options, check as checking the file prior or after the backup.

Now, which one should I be doing, Symantec wants $700.00 for the remote client. Do I need both the online backups and the backup with Symantec's remote agent.

Too many backup options -- I'm guessing there are pro's and con's with each.

If I restore from the Backup exec client, can I point the restore to a directory for me to look at the file.

Sorry, a bit confused at the moment..

• If your backup files are much larger than the MDF/LDF files, then you may have multiple backups in the same file. I look at that as putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Check your maintenance plan and let SQL Server create new files with dates and times for each backup.

Also, if your DB is in the FULL or BULK LOGGED recovery mode, you really should be doing regularly scheduled LOG backups no less than once an hour. It'll help keep your log file down in size and it'll give you the ability to easily recover to a point in time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Looks like something wrong with your backup jobs. did you ever try to restore those backup files??

I will suggest you to create new maintence plan for back, also if you have Lite-speed install then use lite speed to create maintenace plan so you can compress backup as well in effiecient way.

after this set-up you can configure other tools for your tape backup to store your backups..

• Firstly, I think that you are saving multiple files in one backup set. As Jeff has mentioned check your maintenance plan to make sure that you create new backup files with the timestamp for each full backup. To achieve this, do not mention the target file name and uncheck the APPEND option in the plan step.

Instead just mention the directory where you want the backups to be saved.

You don't need both native SQL backups and symantec backup exec backups. Check the pros and cons and go with one of them.

Does symantec give you compression or is it faster?

More importantly you need to test your restore method to finalize the backup method. Its of no use to have backups when you can not restore.

Also investigate if you want the backups to be stored on some other server in case of a disaster.

Jeff has already mentioned that you need to schedule log backups for DBs in full recovery.

Blog
    http://saveadba.blogspot.com/

• If you use Symantec Backup Exec, I recommend you do test restorations.

You can redirect the destination of a restored file with Symantec Backup Exec. If you have multiple people who can review Backup Exec jobs daily, having a centralized backup solution can be good so you may want to use Symantec. If you have more Sys Admins on the SQL Server instance, then backing up from SQL Server may be the way to go. Both SQL Server and Backup Exec can email a person or group with the status/success of the nightly backups. In my opinion you shouldn't rely on the Symantec Backup Exec messages for SQL Server backups of open databases unless one of the following is true:

-you do test restorations periodically

-you are using the latest version of Symantec Backup Exec and SQL Server 2008.

Symantec Backup Exec is a great product for backing up and restoring SQL databases nonetheless.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply