Multiple sources for dimensions in Data Warehouse

• I am currently working on a financial Risk data warehouse. For my collateral dimension, I am souring the data from one source system. However, after further research by the business analyst, we found a legacy application that also holds collateral information which the bank also needs in the data warehouse. Bar a few common attributes that both source systems share, the legacy application contains a lot more attributes than what is defined already in my current collateral dimension. What is therefore the best way to onboard this new information in the Warehouse? I was thinking of extending the current collateral dimension but then would I need to do this every time I find a new source, which is very likely given the size of the bank. Alternatively is it better to create a new dimension called dimCollateralAdditionalInfo and add the extra attributes there?

• Can you join the two source tables in SQL Server, and then create a view that you can use as the source for the dimension?

• Yes that can be done. Essentially this is then extending the existing dimension?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  eseosaoregie.
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply