Multiple rows into 1 column

• I have the following SP;

SELECT dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.RegisterID, sipr.dbo.ins_prs.prs_name, dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.StartDate, dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.EndDate

FROM   dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers

INNER JOIN dbo.tbl_ARS_Register_Lecturers ON dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.RegisterID = dbo.tbl_ARS_Register_Lecturers.RegisterID

INNER JOIN sipr.dbo.ins_prs ON dbo.tbl_ARS_Register_Lecturers.LecturerID = sipr.dbo.ins_prs.prs_code

WHERE dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.RegisterID = 17

GROUP BY dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.RegisterID, sipr.dbo.ins_prs.prs_name, dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.StartDate, dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.EndDate

Which produces the results;

RegisterID prs_name StartDate EndDate

17 Joe Bloggs 2005-05-01 00:00:00 2005-05-31 00:00:00

17 Betty Bloggs 2005-05-01 00:00:00 2005-05-31 00:00:00

17 William Bloggs 2005-05-01 00:00:00 2005-05-31 00:00:00

However, I'd like the output to look like;

RegisterID Lecturers StartDate EndDate

17 Joe Bloggs, Betty Bloggs, William Bloggs 2005-05-01 00:00:00 2005-05-31 00:00:00

What's the easiest way to acheive this?

I've already read the article http://www.sqlservercentral.com/faq/viewfaqanswer.asp?faqid=206 but I wasn't sure how to incorporate that into the SP shown above.

Thanks.

• Check this thread out and see if it helps. 

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=8&messageid=182229 

This might be overkill.  I over-interpretted what you wanted.  I think Carl gave you the right answer. 

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• If I understand this right, all you want to do is concatemate the rows into one? If this is the case, leave everything after the SELECT, and recode your SELECT like this:

SELECT dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.RegisterID + ' ' + sipr.dbo.ins_prs.prs_name + ', ' + dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.StartDate + ' ' + dbo.tbl_ARS_Registers.EndDate

• Close, the output I'm after hasn't come out too great on screen. I want to concatenate all the prs_name fields into one field called Lecturers. I'll do it as a table;

RegisterID

prs_name

StartDate

EndDate

Joe Bloggs

2005-05-01

2005-05-31

Betty Bloggs

2005-05-01

2005-05-31

William Bloggs

2005-05-01

2005-05-31

And the output I want is;

RegisterID

Lecturers

StartDate

EndDate

Joe Bloggs, Betty Bloggs, William Bloggs

2005-05-01

2005-05-31

• Try creating a udf from the sample code below and use the returned list as your Lecturers column:

declare @csv varchar(1000)

select @csv = isnull(@csv + ', ', '') + prs_name

from Your_table

Where .....

Return @csv

• For anybody that's interested, I solved the problem by creating a UDF as suggested, like so;

CREATE FUNCTION udf_ARS_ReturnLecturers
    (
    @RegisterID int
    )
    RETURNS nvarchar (1000)
    AS
    BEGIN
    DECLARE @Lecturers nvarchar (1000)
    SET @Lecturers = ''
    SELECT @Lecturers = @Lecturers + ', ' + prs_name FROM dbo.tbl_ARS_Register_Lecturers 
    INNER JOIN sipr.dbo.ins_prs ON dbo.tbl_ARS_Register_Lecturers.LecturerID = sipr.dbo.ins_prs.prs_code
    WHERE RegisterID = @RegisterID
    SET @Lecturers = RIGHT(@Lecturers, (LEN(@Lecturers) - 2))
    RETURN @Lecturers
    END
  • Nice to get some feedback.  Just in case you were interested

select @csv = isnull(@csv + ', ', '') + prs_name

will eliminate the need for

SET @Lecturers = RIGHT(@Lecturers, (LEN(@Lecturers) - 2))

• I'm aware of how infuriating it can be when you find someone experiencing the same difficulty as yourself only to find that they never posted the outcome or solution in their post, so I thought I'd share mine for others.

Thanks for the tip.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply