Multiple insatnce in Active/Passive

• Has anyone tested multiple instance in Active/Passive i.e having two instances on the same primary node?Due to Licensig requirement we cant go for Active/Active config.

If yes do we need to have separate resources like Heartbeat connection etc??

• I am sorry not the heartbeat connection but as I understand we need different virtual server name.

• One, If you are worried about lic problems be aware that every instance has to be lic properly per proc or per seat just like any other sql server. So, if you were running two vert nodes on a single server you would have to have two lic to cover that. All you need to have to run two ver servers on a act/pass cluster is another IP and a virtual name to assign to it. So, in light of the lic issue I would do a act/act cluster instead.

Wes

• Wes - not sure I follow - you're saying that if you run a 2nd instance on a box you'd have to have twice the number of licenses?

Andy

• Sorry, Correction If it is an enterprise lic you are covered for multiple instances. We just got tagged here for running standard and multiple inst on a single box. So, if you are running a cluster, then you are runing enterprise lic's you can run multiple virtual sessions on the active node only.

To recap.

Enterprise edition, multiple virtual instances no additional license fees

Standard edition, You will have to buy a per proc or cal for each virtual server in use.

Since you are on a cluster, running two or more virtual nodes on the active node on the cluster is fine. I would still push a new IP for each virtual node and name it to make sure you don't have problems accessing the virtual node.

What can I say, its monday

Wes

• You have to have a separate Virtual IP and Virtual Name for each additional clustered SQL Server instance you install on a cluster; according to Books Online each Virtual Server (i.e. a combination of a virtual IP and a virtual name that appear as a separate server to the outside world) can have only one instance of SQL Server running on it. Thus, I cannot have two or more instances running on the same Virtual Server. Therefore, I must create a separate Virtual Server for each additional instance that I want to install on a cluster.

Matthew Burr

• Thank you very much to all.I talked to Microsoft Rep and he said you can have multiple instances(Virtual Servers) on Primary node in Active/Passive configuration but if I choose to install instances on 2nd node than needs to buy Active/Active licence.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply